Introducing the Shapeoko HDM

Hi Luke,
I ordered the HDM a few days ago and I need to design a 80/20 enclosure for it. It takes like 2+ months for an 80/20 order to be delivered these days, so I need to get on it asap.
Could you please document or post a fusion model of the HDM frame spacing and bolt down hole locations, also I need to know how big the footprint is with a 2k spindle and it’s Sweepy installed, when it is positioned forward center asking for a bit change, and how far forward it extends from the front frame.
Very excited to see how it performs!
Thank you!

Question: Why is there not a bit setter mounted to the front of this machine?

1 Like

Isn’t this it?

2 Likes

From the pictures and footage it looks like there is a TLS(BitSetter) mounted to one of the t-slots in the table.

Edit: Gerry beat me to it, with a picture.

2 Likes

I’m not actually sure if that is the “bitsetter”, but couldn’t figure out what else it might be.

Perhaps the ground lead for it is in the machine chassis and hence the t-slots, and the endmill pushes down onto the spring loaded shiny bit, conducts through it, and eventually and closes the circuit with the chassis? Or magic.

2 Likes

@winston knocked up a non detailed model.

HDM Placeholder v1.zip (129.2 KB)

On S3/4 Pro the Z extends past the bed by a inch or so, this isn’t the case on the HDM - We made the BitSetter movable and it can go pretty much any of the hybrid table slots.

5 Likes

Thank you so much for the step file Luke, it has everything I need. And thanks to @Winston!
That explains why the bit setter is not mounted on the front of the machine lol. (I knew the one in the photos was a bit setter, question was why on the deck, not mounted to the front!)

One last favor Luke, Could you please measure the distance from the center front of the frame bar on the machine to the farthest point forward on the Sweepy mounted to the 2k spindle during bit change please? I need to measure how far to set the machine back into the enclosure. Nothing is extending past the the rear frame during homing correct?
Noticed there are now 3 mounting holes per frame bar, with one in the center. The Pro only has one on each side. -Upgrades!

This photo is showing a wire, the stock photos are not. Possibly showing a dummy unit not wired up for photos?

1 Like

Can you draw me a diagram of what you mean? Are you working out how much front space is needed with Sweepy on? Nothing goes past the Y motors other than the exit of the drag chain.

That is roughly how we run the wire - although I have the wire going right then down into the half T slot channel, not coming out the front as per that pic. It can’t run through the ‘extrusion’ because our Y ‘extrusions’ are funny looking things…

https://www.instagram.com/p/CS7J8NLD99B/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

2 Likes

Yes I need to know how much distance for the HDM to fit in the enclosure and not have the Sweepy hit the front doors when it comes forward for a bit change with the Sweepy attached to a 2k spindle.(Possibly farther forward then the 1.5 spindle)
Also for the back wall, the rear stepper motors are the farthest point of the back of the machine when homing? Nothing will crash into the back wall if I give 1 inch of clearance from the rear steppers to the back of the enclosure?
This is an example of the Pro, it has 6.75 inches of space between the front frame of the Pro to the front doors of the enclosure. I left 3 inches of extra space in front for a HDZ 2k spindle for future upgrades. Pro has 1 inch between back frame and rear enclosure wall.

There’s a fair bit of debris in this channel, behind the thing that looks like it should prevent debris. Was this from testing without the panels in place?

Is this channel going to make it hard to clean/air out?

The extrusions are solid?? Wow.

I believe @Luke means the hybrid T-track.

You can see them in this image from:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/about-the-hybrid-table/

(the flat U-shaped extrusions which make up the field, not the other rectangular ones which are hollow)

I was looking at this photo:

1 Like

FWIW, there are other providers of Aluminium extrusion with comparable prices. I came across Vention a while ago and they ship next day.

1 Like

I will definitely check them out, thank you!

We’ll have more to say about this as we get closer to shipping but we do not support bolting this machine down. You can block it in place to keep it from moving but we don’t want to machine warped or twisted as it’s bolted to a table. (This presumes that you’re not bolting it to a granite table, we might support that)

6 Likes

I bolt my Pro’s down to 4 bars of 80/20 15LS extrusions that are part of the frame of the enclosure, and then bolt a 3/4" aluminum spoilboard on top of the machine frame slats.
Is this a bad thing?

The back wall the steppers are the last thing there - on the front you need a minimum of 5inches or 125mm from the front plate - this is bare minimum.

Yes, due to some funky bends the panels that turned out to be very hard to produce - the side panels didn’t fit properly - for a good part of the testing they have been left off and you can even see on that photo that they are not sat correctly and dented - we’d never let a production machine ship like this. One of the production changes was a new batch of side panels with a simpler design.

It should be noted that chips will still get in there, but the Y ball screws are fitted with the main shield, wipers and a rubber seal. You can also easily access them from the removable internal side covers.

Only the Y, we made a change to machine them from solid billet. It might be a bit over the top and a little unnecessary. Rest assured you can take a team photo standing on one.

Rob makes an excellent point here - I was running a demo machine on an epoxy levelled bench which I had since S03 days and I was sure it was flat. I was wondering why my machine was rocking when running and it wasn’t until I dropped it onto a granite slab and put a level over my old table I found the whole table had warped like crazy over the last year.

Kinda funny the machine was flatter than the table but if I had bolted it down it would have been a big mistake.

Now my machine sits on a granite counter top - which it’s self weights 80kg but cost next to nothing from a countertop company (second).

5 Likes

I wouldn’t bolt down a Pro (and we don’t bolt down any of them here) but that’s less of a problem on a Pro/4. The HDM is compact and rigid, which is great for a CNC machine, but it’s doesn’t have enough flex if anything is warped as the frame is bolted down.

We just drop the HDM machines on tables here and they work well and they don’t move at all. If you want to block it in, I think that would be a good idea and it definitely won’t go anywhere.

5 Likes