Jogging speed increase

I’m wondering if there is a GRBL setting that will increase the max jogging speed in Carbide Motion. Or is that speed limited by CM? I’ve already got the homing speeds set higher in GRBL, but jogging just seems so slow. If it’s limited by CM, is there another gcode sender that will work natively with a game controller, that doesn’t have the same jogging limitations?

Thanks much
Stan

1 Like

Carbide Motion 5 did increase the speeds, see:

Jogging in CM is artificially limited. Though you can up the overall speed limit of the machine, which is what Will pointed out, the speed used during jogging cannot be increased. If there’s enough interest among users we can submit that for consideration. (I’m personally in favor of a faster option…)

11 Likes

It would be nice to have a fast feed button in jog mode.
like in mach3 when you hold down shift to increase jog speed.

5 Likes

Yep,

On an XXL you can grow a beard jogging the machine around. I use one of the compass rapids first before going to rapid jog mode.

4 Likes

I’m certainly in favor of having .025mm, .25mm, 1mm, fast and Turbo

6 Likes

I’ve done that occasionally as well, but if you’re using a game controller it means going back to the computer, tapping a few keys, waiting for the move, then going back to jog. It would be so much quicker to just have a turbo speed.

3 Likes

Yep,

It would be much nicer to jog at full speed, especially with the Carbide Motion protection stopping you slamming into a physical limit.

3 Likes

Also interested in ‘Turbo’ mode on the XXL!

2 Likes

Being able to jog while in the rapid position screen would be nice as well.

2 Likes

Actually, my preference would be to at least double the number of rapid position locations! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’d be in favor of speeding it up on the XXL.

1 Like

@ctdodge I think you mean .001", .010" and .100" :laughing: :wink:

1 Like

If you have a game controller hooked up, it will allow you to jog while in both the rapid position screen and probe screen.

1 Like

Agree 1000%. Give us some options. Also a dedicated home button.

1 Like

I’m definitely interested in faster jogging.

Here’s how I cope with jog speed.

1. Rapid to a position (thinking that should be close)
  2. Realize its farther than I thought, start to jog in “fast”.
  3. Quickly get tired of jogging and try to play a game.
  4. Pick 2 rapid positions, that share a path intersecting (or very close to intersecting) my desired coordinates.
  5. Start a rapid travel between them, while quickly clicking done and returning to jog screen.
  6. While machine is in motion and very close to my coordinate, send an arbitrary manual jog command, which will interrupt the rapid and stop.
  7. a)smile and continue
    b)accept defeat and manually jog
    c)refuse to be bested by a “machine” and return to step 4
3 Likes

Yes, I would agree as a new user and owner of the Shapeoko XL, the homing speed is slow and wasteful. If possible some options would be very welcomed. Tom

More speeeeeeeeeeeed!

Tom, you can up the homing seek speed a little by adjusting the GRBL settings:

image <---- Use “$$” command to see all settings