Jtech laser issues with my S4XXL

I have 2 issues with my Jtech laser. #1 just installed. Never used. $31=1 and $30=1,000. Laser output set to 4% for when I turn on the laser…it starts out at full power and burns my wood. Anyone know what could be wrong?

#2. ALL coordinates are backwards. Left front is actually right rear. Up is down. I saw a video on this not long before I bought the laser on how to fix…but now I can’t find the video. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent

For reference, which JTech Laser do you have? And what program are you using to run it?

I have 2 macros setup to switch between laser and router to change origins,

Use Laser Macro
G10 L2 P1 X-800 Y-250
$10=0 Status report
$32=1 Laser Mode on

Use Router Macro
G10 L2 P1 X0 Y0
$10=255 Status report
$32=0 Laser Mode off

note the bed dimensions are for 3XL.

$10 is used to change the coordinates from negative to positive for Lightburn. I use the same settings for $10 shown by @azbrewer.

Watch at the 8:50 mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2tmEfN8fkQ

Assuming you are using Lightburn and referring to the “Power” setting next to the “Fire” button:

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 6.44.25 AM

4% is just a general recommendation. You want to set it as low as you can so the laser “just” turns on (for zeroing). 4% on mine will cook bacon. I use .01%. Fiddle with it until you get a spot that turns on but doesn’t burn.

I have the 7w laser. And I’m using Lightburn.

Ok. Gotcha. I’ll give that a try!! Thanks

Great info. Thanks so much!!

Do what Steve mention with the macros which is found in lightburn under “console”. Also when you are trying it out you need to home your shapeoko to the back right side. As soon as it homes turn carbide motion off before your router starts moving forward. Turn on your Lightburn and then go to your console and use the macro “use laser” which Steve showed you the commands to set up. It took me a good while to work through understanding what all needed to happen to get my JTech working and then successfully switching back. It can be frustrating but keep at it.

In the macro you will have to account for the size of the machine you have. I have a 5 so my macro is a bit different with a different x and y location. Your laser is mounted on the side and you may have to account for where you want the “home” to be with your laser on there. You don’t want your laser smashing into the left side of your machine with because of the wrong coordinates.

I too have a 7W and Lightburn. These are my macro settings for my Shapeoko 3XL:

USE LASER:
$32=1
$30=1000
$10=0
G10 L2 P1 X-825 Y-425

USE CNC:
$32=0
$30=1
$10=255
G10 L2 P1 X0 Y0

1 Like

Whenever I mount my laser I use “Use Laser” macro thru Lightburn and when I remove it, I use “Use Router” macro. Made it a habit to switch as they don’t play well in wrong mode.

2 Likes

VERY frustrating. I’ve spent days searching for solutions. I’ve gotten more info here in 45 minutes than I have in the last 3 days. Wish I would have started here. I’ll know better next time.

1 Like

Brent, if you would like to trouble shoot over the phone. I would be willing to help after work today or another day. Just let me know.

This thread was helpful to me with the beginnings of troubleshooting:

Thanks…I appreciate it!! I’ll let you know

Another thing to note is using Carbide Motion to “send config” will erase any belt calibration you have done. I have an additional macro to resend my belt stretch numbers,
Belt Stretch Macro
$100=39.981
$101=40.012
$102=40.093

2 Likes

These are my settings and NO CHANGE. Also, My laser still fires full blast (it seems) just by turning it on ….and without hitting “laser fire”. (Which is set to .01%) :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Is the Mode Selector Switch on your controller in the wrong position? It needs to be to the right (input control mode) so Lightburn can control it. If it’s to the left, the laser will turn on full blast when you turn on the control box.

2 Likes

The switch was set to the left. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. I swear. Gotta be 1,000 different things that can be wrong. I’m sure once I get it straight it’ll be worth it, but it sure seems like there should be an easier way. On top of that…storm is coming and had to pull my truck in the garage and can’t get out there to hook everything back up, so won’t be able to check it out until tomorrow after work.

I would suggest emailing JTech and Jay or Shane can help you trouble shoot. They have great customer service.