New CNC setup for a new guy to CNC

Hello everyone. I am getting a shapeoko 5 Pro and will be putting it on a kreg bench with either 3/4” plywood or MDF and building a cabinet. I will also be putting in some sort of cabinet/drawer system in the front half similar to the the below photo
![IMG_7820|580x500](upload://fdnd4oiDYtJVohIAkTuvfvPszJF.jpeg

My questions for you all are:

• What kind of shop vac should I get?
  • What is the best way to wire it all together?
  • If you could do it differently what would you change?
  • What Ancillary items will I need to get everything working together? (I will be using a VFD spindle)
1 Like

For shop vac, I think being quiet is an important attribute — the DeWalt Stealthsonic (w/ a HEPA filter) is the current darling:

Wiring isn’t that flexible — some of the cables are short, so one is pretty much constrained to some variation of:

• SO5 Pro electronics under table and on the right
  • VFD at back left corner
  • accessories and pendants at the front right corner

I’m pretty pleased with my current setup (which reminds me that I need to post a photo)

What else one needs is determined by what sort of work one is doing, how one is approaching it, and if one already has a shop to support the machine and if so, what it contains.

Big things to my mind:

• eye and hearing protection: https://docs.carbide3d.com/shapeoko-faq/safety-gear-and-necessary-precautions-when-using-the-machine/
  • a jogging pendant is nice — a numeric keypad will work, or one can remap a gamepad: A different sort of pendant or possibly use a game controller
  • a decent pair of digital calipers is quite useful — calibration, measuring stock, &c.
  • Additional assembly tools: Flush cut pliers (or scissors — fingernail clippers can also be used to cut a short zip tie with a nicely rounded edge), Needle nose pliers, Tape measure or ruler, Level, Pencil; possibly also Easy-peel masking tape, such as blue painter’s tape (nothing that leaves a residue behind), Adjustable wrench, Flashlight
  • some sort of small ratchet is a huge benison when assembling the machine, and can be handy for workholding — alternately, a T-handle set of hex wrenches
  • better quality wrenches for tool changes, see https://old.reddit.com/r/shapeoko/wiki/tools
  • put foam under the machine — dampens noise and deadens vibration — I’ve been using Harbor Freight Anti-Fatigue mats under my machines recently
  • some inexpensive stock to cut
2 Likes

Much thanks for your quick reply and insight

As another new person to CNC (and obviously Shapeoko, as well) who just assembled my 5 Pro a couple of weeks ago, this response is SUPER helpful. I had very similar questions as the original poster and even though I’d been scouring the forum here for weeks while i awaited delivery, and lot of this info is not easy to find, if it exists at all, in the forums. This forum is actually amazing, don’t get me wrong. I was just wondering if maybe a Carbide3D managed wiki for new users could be an easier way to deliver this info. Not only some of this, but common topics like bits and and and. Even if its just initially permalinks to the forum posts that cover the topics. The videos for new users are awesome. this forum is awesome. Both are somewhat linear, though and not easy to search, especially if you don’t even know what you are searching for

2 Likes

Something like to this was previously posted at:

There was “wiki.shapeoko.com”, but it went off-line.

There are some wiki pages at https://old.reddit.com/r/shapeoko/wiki/index#wiki_additional_pages

but we’re trying to navigate my having run the former into the ground by using it as my personal notebook, and allowing my.carbide3d.com to be foremost in search results and so forth.

1 Like

No doubt. Def a hard nut to crack. But like that forum post? zero way for a new user to find it if they don’t know its there and don’t know what to search for.

OP here. It’s been a long hard search across the web I’ve gotten a lot of my cabinet ideas from Pinterest of all places. I’ll be sure to check out the Reddit thank you!

1 Like

I don’t know if its all ready part of your plan, but wheels on your table will make life much easier. Especially if you have a small work space.

1 Like

here is what I have come up with so far

3 Likes

I am getting the 5 pro in 4x4 the lower drawers and cabinets will only go back about 2 to 2 1/2 feet leaving space in the back to mount electronics and a shop vac for dust collection it won’t be until I get everything that I will get all the electronics laid out.

1 Like

Wheels are definitely a part of the plan. The Kreg Table has optional wheels that I will absolutely be getting.

Matthew,

I have the KREG table both here at HQ and in my home shop. Their casters are worth purchasing. I find their locking mechanism to be quite effective and they are a quick install.
All the cabinet work you have planned will go a long way to stiffening the platform.
I would drill through the steel frame to anchor the cabinets directly to the frame itself.

Additionally, be sure to stiffen the underside of the top. Either through the cabinet substructure or spines, as we did in the video.

And, definitely post pictures of your final build.

4 Likes

I use the harbor freight dust collection & i incorprated a Husky tool box on the front for storage

4 Likes

Kevin,

Link to video you mention? Thanks!

I purchased the Dewalt stealth shop vac, its super quiet. Im planning to place a cyclone on it. Its expensive but well worth it when it comes to the volume. BTW, after 2 months of waiting i finally recieved an email stating my Shapeoko 5 Pro 4 x 4 was shipped and i should have my hands on it in a week or so.
Looking forward to using it!!

Steve

3 Likes

At a guess:

1 Like

I am happy to hear that you are satisfied with the Kreg tables. I had planned on doing some sort of frame stiffening probably with some 2x4’s underneath the lower shelf top and the table top.
I had looked at the casters and they looked pretty good and had read multiple articles where they said they were a must have.

I will probably start a separate thread when I do my build with lots of photos documenting the build.

1 Like

I like it! it is definitely something worth considering If I can find something that I can slide onto a lower shelf I will more than likely do that. [quote=“mikenal, post:13, topic:76658, full:true”]
I use the harbor freight dust collection & i incorprated a Husky tool box on the front for storage

[/quote]

here is a rough draft of my cnc table and enclosure right side view

How do I set up a 2’x4’ project on my 2’x2’ SO5 Pro?