Nomad 3 info, plus something else

I’ve already read that. We need to order about 50 though and need actual specs.

1 Like

I thought M6 T-slots and nuts were an ISO standard?

http://www.fasteners.eu/standards/ISO/299/
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/t-slut-t-nut-size-metric-d_2072.html
https://www.trfastenings.com/Products/Catalogue/nuts/T-Slot/Rectangle-Pattern/TR00001112-100

2 Likes

Yes, please note that the M6 T-slot nuts don’t fit in the older MDF T-track (I’ve got some which don’t fit my XL).

Negative, there’s different kinds, and since this is a new hybrid design want to make sure of the slot dimensions.

1 Like

I’ve queried the team chat — hopefully we’ll get an answer from someone who knows the answer.

@WillAdams Thanks! Just need these four dimensions for the slot:

Any update? Thank you

The main slot is approximately 17mm wide 10mm high. The slot is approximately 9mm wide and 4mm high and the T nuts are M6.

3 Likes

@Luke Thanks! Just ordered a bunch of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BHJPB9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope they fit good enough.

1 Like

New video posted for Shapeoko Pro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45bivPwwx18

5 Likes

I spotted this from Chris Salomone talking about (cough) one of the other machines (cough). They inadvertently show some interesting details of how it’s built and where some of the rather large cost came from, such as what appear to be cross-ribbed custom castings for the Y plates;

It makes for an interesting comparison on where this version pushed out the budget vs. how Carbide kept it pretty nicely under control with the Pro.

2 Likes

This is exactly the kind of information I want to see. I just want to say again, more openness would go a long way towards me remaining a Carbide 3D customer.

Thats an interesting video, both in getting a look at the XC Pro and the content - I hadn’t seen that channel prior to this thank you!

I would love to see more on their gantry beam construction, it looks like it has bigger dimensions than the the SO3 Pro but without reinforcement you’d lose a lot of strength having the slot for the ballscrew.

I’m in the throws of some pretty heavy research at the moment looking for a new machine, and its very interesting to see where different manufacturers utilise their budget, and where they choose to price the machine. It has really highlighted the value and capability of the Carbide3d machines relative to the other options.
That being said the SO3 Pro isn’t under consideration due to the work area.

Noticed a new video on the SO3 Pro on the Carbide3d YouTube channel today too Here

2 Likes

I posted that link a few posts above yours :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ha… yes you did. I even scanned to see if anyone else had posted it…

Lucky that lack of attention to detail doesn’t bite me in the A** too often in my cnc jobs!

2 Likes

After watching the latest video about the Shapeoko Pro and hearing about the increase in rigidity for pushing the machine hard and “the same accuracy as the Shapeoko 3”, I thought to have a look at the Shapeoko 3’s accuracy and was surprised to see that 0.002" is pretty typical.

Given that the Nomad is specced to 0.0015", I was wondering, why not make a “Nomad” by scaling down the Shapeoko Pro? What’s the practical difference these days?

With its presumably more rigid extrusions and rails instead of linear bearings, I’m guessing the Shapeoko Pro has better rigidity than the Nomad. With the flexible spindle holder, you can put any kind of spindle you want in there, from an engraver to a 2.2kW water-cooled beast.

My presumption was always that the Shapeoko was more wobbly because of the belts but it seems that realistically that isn’t a problem.

If one were, to for example, buy a Shapeoko Pro and cut chunks of the belt and extrusions out until it had a footprint similar to a Nomad, what would be the differences between the Frankenoko Pro and the Nomad 3?

1 Like

The belts suffer load based deflection, final accuracy is fine, they are near zero backlash but they still deflect under load. Making the machine smaller, a regular 400 x 400 work area pro with a spindle would be very interesting.

Of course, what you’re suggesting is well in line with that people like Vince.Fab have been running in various forms of modified Shapeoko for a while and it would be interesting to know how they would choose between a small Pro and a Nomad.

So is it just the drive system? What if the Shapeoko were driven by screws instead of belts?

I’m thinking if you want a machine for cuttng metal and have the space, are you better off with a Nomad 3 or with a Shapeoko Pro?

The Nomad comes working out of the box but with a still fairly low-end spindle.

The Shapeoko Pro comes with belts and by default without a motor but for ~$250 you can buy a set of 3 ballscrews and for another ~$250 you can have a 2.2kw spindle.

So for an extra ~$500 on top of the Nomad 3 price, you can have a machine with a larger work area, similar accuracy and drastically higher cutting speeds?

@Vince.Fab what do you think?

I like your chain of thought, but I think it’d be more like at least $1,000 over the Pro cost. Most water cooled 2.2kw spindles are around $300-$350 once shipped and your cost for the ball screws seem low and not factoring in shipping. Also, you’d have to make adapter plates for the ball screw setup, so factor in some cost in aluminum, hardware, and time of you like. Add some endmills if you don’t have some and that’s if you have a machine already. But I agree, it’d be a beast. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.