Playing with a laser

So, awhile back, (around January) I got a 4.2w JTech laser. I finally got around to getting everything hooked up and started attempting to learn how to use it. I must also mention that I got the LightBurn software at the same time as well. So, to be honest I haven’t used the Vetric laser tool set up or anything like that yet. I chose to use some scrap pine I had in my shop for the learning process. My wife, always helpful as she is, picked out some designs for me to try. Then later informed me that I was making a box out of them. She didn’t say anything about the box part until she caught me throwing these pieces into the burn pile. lol.

These were playing with power level and speed.

Then wondering how, or if a painted surface would matter.

Yeah, the wife has a thing for this kind of stuff. lol. Besides it makes her happy, which means I get to buy more shop stuff. lol.

16 Likes

Rick…you are Da Man!

I just sent a link to these to my wife who is a keen ceramics artist and teacher … she responded:
“Oh wow. They are stunning.
Yep better add a laser to your bucket list.”

I owe you for that🤗

3 Likes

@Gerryattrick
Lmao. Thanks!
I have to admit, playing with a laser is fun. lol.

The best wives are the ones who ask when you’re going to the hardware store next, or if she can pick you up anything while she’s there!

Dan

3 Likes

Indeed. I didn’t do anything today quite as cool as your most excellent demo – er, make that production – art, but I couldn’t just make a nice cypress box for some surplus planer knives I’m sending to a friend. Even just branding a quick label on top is fun when you’re flinging photons. :grin:

2 Likes

No time for more laser fun today. Gotta head to New Orleans for some reason. Hmm… I can’t remember why…

(Amazon box, 4.2W, two passes: first 450mm/min, second Z-2.5mm at 300mm/min.)

3 Likes

Since my wife is pretty great, I’m assuming by “hardware” you must mean she’s tired of the knobs on the dresser drawers.
:wink:

1 Like

Happy wife…Happy life… :laughing:

1 Like

I also have the Jtech, but t’s the 3.8 along with Lightburn, and it is quite nice to have to accent projects and make things

6 Likes

My wife actually makes stuff, knows how to use common hand tools, saws, sanders, etc… The only thing she really won’t mess with is my lathe, table saw, and the Shapeoko. On the weekends she’ll say something like,“You going to Woodcraft for anything? I need more screws to use with my Kreg jig.”. So when I say she offers to pick stuff up at the hardware store, I literally mean that :wink:

Dan

3 Likes

I just got my frankenlaser setup.
A cheapie 5w Banggood laser for about ahundred bucks shipped, and I didn’t want to solder onto my grbl board so i bought the $10 kit from jtech (as well as the dustboot mount, and some safety glasses.acrylic.

(i tried the jtech shroud as well, but it did not fit, so MDF/CA glue/magnets/VHB tape to the rescue.)

It was surprisingly easy to get up and going with lightburn, and I feel great paying $150ish bucks instead of $650.

I do not think I am going to make a how to video though, just out of concern for safety. I would be devastated if someone thought it was a toy because it was only $88 and permanently blinded themselves or their kids or whatever. But yeah it works. Another tool in the toolbox!

9 Likes

:+1:
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

3 Likes

I got a few private requests, and after talking to some pals they were like “there is all sorts of dangerous stuff on YouTube, just make a good disclaimer!” so I jotted out some notes on how I got it hooked up on my new blog, making sure to warn folks MULTIPLE times about just how sketchy these things can be.

3 Likes

Yes, these little thing can blind you. Posted a couple of weeks back.
Be careful

3 Likes

There’s a reason that we have never offered a laser even though we know we could sell a ton of them.

6 Likes

Go find my post from an actual expert. The 440 to 450nm wavelengths are super dangerous to eyes. Good to let someone else take chances

2 Likes

I remember that- it made an impact- and I actually searched ALL the recent laser posts looking for it, but couldn’t find it. I was hoping there was an external link i could include to help drive the point home.

I totally get and respect Rob’s decision to not sell these things, considering. As a business, I would not want to be libel for selling them. But as an end user, like any tool, it’s on me to treat it with the respect and consideration it deserves.

I cringe when i see people casually “playing” with them on YouTube, having known someone who was blinded by a handheld laser pointer at an event.

ultimately i wrote the post because people ARE buying these, often from whatever chinese etailer has them cheapest, with zero instructions and very minimal advice from facebook and nobody seems to be overly worried about the safety factor- which i really, really think they should be.

6 Likes

That’s a great write up @robrob especially the bits about safety. I regularly play laser, both with my ShapeOKO mounted JTech and my CO2 laser. It’s so quiet compared to a router it’s really easy to get complacent, forget the glasses, walk away for a minute to talk to the neighbor who wants to know what wood your using in your “smoker”, go to the bathroom, pour a cup of coffee, burn your house down, lose your eyesight, make a beautiful engraving of your in-laws, your kids, your dog, your in-laws dog, and a Baby Yoda!! They’re fast too, you can do all of the above in a single afternoon without even trying real hard! They’re fun, they open up all sorts of new possibilities with a CNC, but like any tool they need some respect. Thanks for he great write up and the reminder to be safe.

Dan

6 Likes

Amazing work! I just bought an Endurance Laser and am in the process of hooking it up. I’m curious about the Lightburn software. I watched a couple tutorial videos from Lightburn and it seems like on their machine they moved the laser straight from Lightburn. Is that how it is on the Shapeoko, or do you still need Carbide Motion?

Yep, Lightburn all the way! it’s a cool tool (easily worth the $40) ,and it does everything itself.

if you use the Jtech instructions there are two simple macros that you can use to put the controller in laser mode, and then back to cnc mode when you want to go back to normal CNC use with CM.

2 Likes