Please helpšŸ™Upgraded to 1.5kw 220v spindle and having disconnect issues šŸ˜­

That would make it even worse, as would putting anything but common mode filters on the VFD input/output. Do you use the conduit as the ground connections from the service panel to your outlet boxes? If so, is it properly connected to ground at the outlet boxes and service panel? If not, your system is unsafe and in violation of the NEC.

I had to have the shop checked out by the code inspector. Anyway. Heres picturesā€¦20201123_131037|375x500

2 Likes

Do you have an Ohmmeter?

I only have a mutlimeter :frowning:

Thatā€™s even better. What voltage (Vac) do you see between the 2 ā€œhotsā€ and each ā€œhotā€ to ā€œgroundā€ at the VFD power input terminals?

I measured from the ground to each hot and they are both 119

How about hot to hot? You are measuring at the VFD power input terminals, right?

Hope this makes sense

It appears that, since you have single phase 240V, there shouldnā€™t be any connection to terminal T - right @liam, @Julien?

2 Likes

Correct, only any two among R,S, and T need to be connected, mine is setup like this:

I did have this hooked up with only a 3 wire(again, this outlet is directly wired to the breaker panel as a single circuit). I had the two hots hooked up to ā€œRā€ & ā€œSā€ & Ground. Is there a more reliable better quality vfd I might need to look into?

But you have 1 220v leg correct?

correct (unless I missed your point. 220V here is two phases, one Neutral leg and one Live leg, 220V between them)

US is technically split single phase 240V, so you would connect two hots (from the separate bus bars) and no neutral + ground.

Not sure if you are suggesting that filters shouldnā€™t be used, or just any general purpose filter you find.
Typical VFD electrical diagram suggestions (optionally) having input and output filters, and in some regions and along with certifications (i.e. CE) require at least an EMI (EMC?) input filter, you would of course want to get one that is specā€™d and meant for the application to be used as.

Guys, I am both grateful and apologetic for being such a pain in this situationā€¦ I feel that I owe each of you got helping me like this and I usually avoid situations like this as I dont like to be the center of any attention. I am lost, frustrated and desperateā€¦ I have orders that were already a little behind and now are another week behind.
I bought this, before I ran the 4 wire outlet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073MCGBP5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_ZocVFbR8EECMC

1 Like

Sorry, I lost track of whatā€™s going on, the US implementation of 220V and what may be wrong with your setup, at some point you had the VFD running but it immediately triggered a disconnect.
As possible workarounds you could try a USB isolator, running CM of a laptop on battery, trying various USB ports (or computers), grounding the rail that has the Shapeoko controller mounted on it (quick & dirty for now), it sounds random but you may find a setup that happens to work, enough to get your orders out the door and revisit this thoroughly when you have more time to investigate.

Okay, I have a laptop I could use. Are you saying to purely run it from batter or could it be plugged in?

IMO, the wiring to the VFD needs to be fixed so that all of VFDā€™s ground currents flow through the power cable to the service panel instead of through the VFD power cable, other power cables, and the steel structure. Unless thatā€™s fixed first, adding filters would likely exasperate the problem by dumping even more current/crap onto the VFDā€™s input ground.

2 Likes

Yes, purely from battery, at least as a test.

The input power cableā€™s white (neutral) wire needs to be disconnected from the VFD. Does the green (ground) input power wire connect to the L shaped contact on the unplugged power plug and the outlet box when itā€™s plugged in? Check continuity/resistance with your VOM.