Shapeoko 3 from Spark Fun Z-Axis bouncing?

Hey guys. I have an older shapeoko from when they collaborated with sparkfun! It’s never been used before and I’m just trying to get it going…

Everytime the Z access goes to low or to high it jumps! Is this ok? Is this broken? What do?

This is a shapeoko machine that is a few years old but never used. I’m trying to get it working but don’t know what I’m doing.

Check the video to see what I’m talking about.

https://youtu.be/EByRyIKrUsQ

I suspect the Z-axis isn’t sufficiently taut so as to hold against the springs.

Please check the Z-axis tension and verify that the belt is in good condition. If you need a new belt, you can get one by purchasing the Maintenance Kit:

(be sure to let shipping know that you have an SO3 w/ a belt-drive)

Unfortunately, upgrading the Z-axis to a Z-Plus or HDZ pretty much requires:

• replacing the controller to a current version which has the Expansion Adapter necessary for the proximity switches — this will require a new electronics enclosure
  • adding Molex KK connectors and pins to the motor wiring so that the motors can be plugged in to the new board — see: Shapeoko 3 Connector Part Numbers

Hi Will.

I suspect you’re right about the tautness. This machine was only assembled, but never used. So it cannot be an issue of wear.

I know nothing of these machines. What exactly am I checking for when looking for the tautness? Thank you so much for your help!

See the assembly instructions and:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.