Shapeoko 3 XXL help?

“Done” will continue the process of loading the file to send it to the machine.

“Save to G-code” will extract the G-code from the .c2d file and save it to a local file.

Speed on the router will match the Dial settings — there’s a chart in the manual, or see:

Official chart for Carbide Compact Router:

1: 10,000
        (1.5: 12,000)
2: 14,000
        (2.5: 16,000)
3: 18,000
        (3.5: 20,500)
4: 23,000
        (4.5: 25,000)
5: 27,000
        (5.5: 29,500)
6: 32,000

So, I got my threaded inserts in today, and installed. Thought I’d go ahead and surface it again, and again, on the last pass, at the rear left, it made a shuttering sound. Have any ideas why that may be?

Here is the file I made and ran, and machine settings in CM.

Could you have run out of travel along the back of the Y-axis?

Usually folks enter the full Y-axis dimension w/o considering that includes the overhang cutting area at the front of the machine.

1 Like

I’m not actually sure, to be honest. Don’t know how/where I’d have entered anything for that?

You’re surfacing a 31" deep pocket along the Y-axis on a machine which has a ~32" working area — is your origin out in the overhang cutting area so as to ensure that you don’t run out of Y-axis travel?

See:

1 Like

I’d went as big as the “stock”, if that’s where I went wrong?

Possibly, depends on where the origin was set relative to the stock.

That said, usually Carbide Motion warns on this:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/carbide-motion-bounds-checking/

(as noted previously)

Perhaps a hose or something got in the way? Or maybe the noise was something else?

The first time it did it, I wasnt paying attention to my routers power cable, and thought perhaps that was it? Then, as I ran the second time, I made sure nothing was catching, and it still did it.

I’m unsure how to check the origin location you’re refering to?

I recieved no warnings either? I am using the upgraded proximity switches provided by Carbide3D as well, maybe I have something set incorrectly there? Granted, when I Initialize the machine, all seems to function properly(goes to rear right, stops when switch lights, comes forward an estimated 10mm, unable to confirm atm, Z axis raises, etc).

Also, I noticed that link stated “Build 616 or later”, and mine says Build 579, I belive(?), if that matters?

On that file you’d modified for me, I had stuck a piece of 3/4 on the machine, and ran it as an “air cut”, and it seemed to be just fine.

Now, since I do need to cut two pieces(left and right), can I select all vectors, mirror it, and not change any other settings and be okay to run it?

Yes, that should work.

1 Like

I’ll give a go tomorrow after work, hopefully, and see how it fairs out.

I’d really like to be able to use Fusion 360 to create a complete g-code file after the design. I’ve been using Fusion for several years now but haven’t tried CAM. Can anyone point to a complete walkthrough lesson that perhaps even uses Carbide as the post processor? tnx

I’m running the file you sent, it got this far into cutting and for some reason, like power blips and restarts, stopping the machine, part unfinished.

Any ideas maybe?

For lost connections, try running an “air job” w/o stock or vacuum or the spindle running — let us know how it works at support@carbide3d.com

I think you’d have to export your sketch in F360 as an SVG, then open that SVG in Create, and go from there.

However, if you’re only using Fusion as a “Hobbyist”, you cannot export it.

I’ll try again in a few. After posting that, I’d ran it again, and left the vac off, until it got to the point it powered off, then turned the vac back on(chip control), and it finished the run. Kinda.

So, it did not actually cut all of the way through, as I knocked out the sections.

I would say that was a successful cut. All you had at the bottom was a thin skin and tabs. I try to attain that each time. I use my calipers on each piece of wood I place on my machine and adjust on the setup screen. There is no sense in damaging the waste board too much, but it happens.

This is what I did to help prevent static issues on my machine.

Grounding your Shapeoko - CNC Machines / Shapeoko - Carbide 3D Community Site

2 Likes

Ahh, makes sense, I reckon. I suppose, I wasn’t anticipating much post processing but, it’s certainly not horrible, and can easily be finished off.

And well shoot, I guess before I attempt to cut anything else, I’ll need to figure out some grounding, as I have nothing for that.