Shapeoko HDZ option for the Shapeoko Pro

Yes/No - it’s built into the mount - eccentrics have been ditched as it’s more effective to get it all snug then tram.

3 Likes

Ok. Does that mean new mounts are being released? The 65mm with the SO Pro was pretty brutal to tram and the 80mm in the store looks like it’s built the same.

1 Like

No the mounts are the same - they are pretty easy to tram

1 Like

I would love more information on it then since I found it anything but. Side to side along the X was mediocre. Front/back nod along the Y was a nightmare of trial and error.

1 Like

Winston did a video on this:

A few years old but still good. With front access holes it’s much easier - I do nod first with foil shims - usually regular tin foil. Then I look at left right - with the the spindle mount firmly mounted (but movable) I tap each side with the soft side of my fist.

3 Likes

Yeah that’s what I used, I stand by my statement :slight_smile:

1 Like

I somewhat agree,

It would be a huge improvement to have a couple of set-screw type adjusters to use to get the precision tramming done.

2 Likes

I’ve tried a number of times but adjusting 0.03mm using a screw isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

7 Likes

What do you typically use in lieu of fine pitched screw adjusters, personally?

1 Like

Thanks Luke,

Hearing about designs that didn’t work is great too, it saves us re-prototyping things that have already been tried, and convicted.

5 Likes

My goto, that I find better than the aluminum foil method, is to buy a couple of sets of cheap feeler gauges on Amazon. I have a set dedicated to tramming.

They work perfectly when tramming [their size doesn’t really change during compression] and can be stacked up.

8 Likes

I’m with @mingle but I use 0.0015" shim stock. I have to stack it, so he’s on to something better than me. Swapping feeler gages is easier than 10 stacked pieces of shim stock. :smiley:

3 Likes

Folded, not stacked, foil. I learned to fold a relatively thick stack, then work backwards. That’s just me though.

Whatever works.

5 Likes

Any chance we 3CD will share a sneak peak of the HDZ Pro?

5 Likes

When the HDZ-Pro does finally come out will there be an option for new machine buyers to add it for a $200.00 up-charge so they don’t waste resources on a standard Z+ that ends up sitting in a closet collecting dust?

3 Likes

It’s something we’d really like to do. We just need to work out the logistics of it.

4 Likes

Any news on the HDZ Pro?

3 Likes

I wish. It was “next couple of weeks” when I emailed in mid-June and “a month or so” when I emailed at the beginning of Aug.

Hopefully, we’ll see it soon :(. It’s a disappointing wait for the “pro” machine to not be able to officially take anything more than a small, compact router or 65MM spindle.

3 Likes

I read somewhere on here that the HDZ pro is done and that we hear something in a few weeks.

2 Likes

Is anyone else on this forum checking the announcements section every day to see if the HDZ has been released for the Shapeoko Pro

3 Likes