Shopping advice / water-cooled spindle

I’ve not found had any emi issues from running non shielded cable on the spindle.

2 Likes

@Julien
"the input 220V power plug I will use has live, neutral, and earth."
So 220V 50 Hz line voltage (hot to neutral - which is apparently earth referenced somewhere) is the French residential standard utility power? US’s standard is two 115 V 60 Hz line voltages (hot to neutral - which are earth referenced at the service panel) that are 180 degree phase shifted (for 230 V phase - phase voltages for high power loads). Interesting! I wonder if the 50 Hz transformer/ballast buzz is as annoying as 60 Hz is!

1 Like

well yeah the 3 phase power in europe is 380V :wink:
(120 degrees from eachother)

1 Like

@fenrus
380V 3 phase provides 219V line voltages - which is good. Most 3 phase in US is 208V (maximum) which gives 120V line voltages - which is good. But the phase voltage is only 208V which isn’t really high enough for many moderate single phase 220V - 240V loads like motors! :cry: And we’re still stuck with the imperial measurement system - I had to figure out what a “slug” is the other day!:cry:

1 Like

what’s a slug then ? :slight_smile:

32.1740 lbs of mass - of course! :wink:

1 Like

A body that exerts 143 Newton’s of force in one standard gravity as I recall.

That’s enough insane units for one day, I’ll keep my metric system thank you :laughing:

2 Likes

There is the Metric system and that other system that put a man on the moon. :rofl:

4 Likes

You really think a man was put on the moon?

2 Likes

I’m about to order the HDZ for my XXL. I’m looking for a complete water-cooled package as the one mentioned here, but I need it 110Volts, instead of 220Volts. Or, should I be getting 220Volts? and if so, whay? I sincerely appreciate your help, thank you.

You don’t think that people have been able to leave the flat earth without falling into the abyss?

2 Likes

Do you really think the Soviets would have allowed the U.S. to get away with faking it?

You do realize that there was never any sort of conspiracy theory about this until the movie Capricorn One was released?

There’s a mirror placed on the moon by astronauts you can bounce a laser off of to measure the distance to the moon — that experiment used to not be possible — that it is now, is proof.

3 Likes

A woman was the first person on the moon…

1 Like

Actually, 12…

4 Likes

@WillAdams
And that was 50 years ago!! Vacuum tubes (valves) still dominated in consumer and military electronics and computers. Really primitive computers and slide rules instead of calculators. 3-4 black and white television channels if you were lucky. No internet or Wi-Fi. It blows me away!!:star_struck:

2 Likes

@ispot
"I’m about to order the HDZ for my XXL. I’m looking for a complete water-cooled package as the one mentioned here, but I need it 110Volts, instead of 220Volts. Or, should I be getting 220Volts? and if so, whay? I sincerely appreciate your help, thank you."
You’ll probably need 220V if you want a 2200 Watt spindle like the one shown here. But you should be OK with a 800 Watt spindle like this one.

Yep. 50 years ago.

My dad cut his teeth on the Bell X1, moved on to the Bell Convertaplane, (think 1950’s Osprey). XB70 bomber, Saturn S IVB, on to B1 bomber. Toned it back late in his career to spend a few years at JPL. Rich C may have met him?

Pretty interesting times.

4 Likes

50% distilled water, 50% automotive coolant, does that sound ok ?
I have found various opinions but no definitive answer on the do’s and don’ts.

The submersible pump is absolutely silent, I’ll have to wire it to the spindle’s input power or I will forget it’s on, guaranteed.

3 Likes

Nice little trick, wire the pump into the VFD power input. It ensures that when the vfd is on the pump is also on. They incredibly low power.

3 Likes