Slipping Collets for Carbide Compact Router

I am having the exact same issue as this thread ( Slipping Precision Collets for Carbide Compact Router)

I was working on a project and everything was good and turned my back to the project when i hear a terrible noise. The bit fell out but the machine was still going. I assumed it came loose from the work. I tightened it back up extra snug and started again. This time only 30 seconds into the project the bit fell again.

Is this a common issue? Is it a simple fix or does it require a new router? I have the carbide router.

Are you using a pair of wrenches to tighten a precision collet?

Im using the wrench provided and the push pin to use as counter pressure.

The only bit I have used is the #201 1/4 in bit.

Please try sourcing a 13mm thin profile wrench such as https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0791ZS89G and a decent 22mm (stubby is well-suited to the torque requirements) and consider getting a precision collet, either one of the ones from Carbide 3D or an Elaire Corp. collet.

OK.

I just ordered the collet from Carbide. Hopefully it resolves it.

Little crazy that ive got less than 2 hrs run time on this $2000 piece of equipment and I’m already buying replacement parts.

1 Like

Collets can slip for a variety of reasons. First make sure you measure the length of the collet. Then measure the total length of your bit. Then subtract the length of the collet from the overall length of the bit and that measure would be your maximum stickout. You could have the bit a little bit further into the router but never any more stickout then your measurement. The reason for this is pushing the router bit into at least the depth of the collet gives you the best grip on the bit. Now do not go too far and push the bit in to far that it bottoms out the router shaft. The bottom of the router shaft may not be smooth and the vibration could cause the bit to loosen.

It could just be an oversized collet and/or undersized bit shaft. Measure the router bit shaft and it should be 1/4". Do not measure the flutes of the bit but the shaft that you insert up into the collett. Measure several different bits and compare the readings. If you have 3 of the same bit do use them to measure because if a mistake was made on one they may all be under/over sized. So get different types of bits and measure and compare.

1 Like

You have to tighten the collet pretty darn tight–monkey tight, not gorilla tight though. One of the first times I used my Carbide Compact Router the 1/4" bit worked its way out and dug through my 3/4" waste board and gouged the S3’s MDF base underneath before I realized what was happening. That has not happened since I’ve been using the “monkey tight” guidance.

3 Likes

Wasn’t a 13mm wrench included with the machine for assembly? I’ve been puzzled folks don’t use it for this.

I had one and used it as a counter but it’s too thin and broke. I mean even with the push button lock for counter I get it tight. But will try the new collet for the 201 router bit.

1 Like

I hand tighten to grab the bit, then quarter turn with the wrench and shaft lock button. Works every time with the Makita. Each time this comes up with the C3D Router, sounds like an absurd amount of torque is needed to me.

I do about the same, except prefer using a pair of wrenches — monkey tight, not gorilla tight.

Sure enough. Just going a little past where i normally would for a router does the trick. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.