Someone tell me why this is a terrible idea. Trying to get more Z clearance

Cant you just calibrate your stepper moters?

No. (meaning it wouldn’t help). Maybe this will help you understand:

1 Like

So thinking that @RichCournoyer had beaten me I got my measure out…

Now the XL and the standard have different cross straps, but my XL has a 12mm machined baseboard…

I have 4" and allot of change.

On an XL or XXL and even with a standard baseboard you would have over 4.5 inches between the Z and the base plate.

4 Likes

If you put your baseboard (I’m glad there’s a new name for it) under your end plates, you’d gain that thickness back.

3 Likes

Unfair test…S3 to S3 would be better…LOL.

3 Likes

Did you make those black parts in the Shapeoko? love it!

FWIW @luke I for one would be a buyer at a reasonable price. $100-ish and perhaps more.

RMW

The New Z riser plates? Yup. Back in the day I was a Tool and Die maker, and that never leaves. I make MANY tools and machines on the Shapeoko.

That is great. I would like to stalk to you offline. I just ordered a SO3. I am a former AVID CNC machine user / ower. Would you be open to ?

Go to my IG (JPL_Richard) and scroll back about 4 years…From Power Hack Saws, to Watches, to Vises, even using the Shapeoko as a Surface Grinder to finish grind a hardened Tool Maker’s Vise…you name it, I made it…While I hate wood, I did spend a year making a Museum Quality Antique reproduction Newport RI Chippendale Desk…Question, ask away.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Nice work! Did you do the program in Fusion? I know your using a custom controller, did you need to write your own post processor?

Yes I am using Fusion’s really crappy unwrap 4th axis feature to program the part…wow, is it bad…but it’s what I got (for now)…more bad news…there isn’t a GRBL 4-axis post processor. I found one in GitHub (4 years old) but it doesn’t work…so I am using the Tormach’s post and then hand editing my gcode to work in GRBL. Not a good reliable idea (I know), but after a week of searching, (and wanting to cut chips to test the system), it will work for now until I get with Autodesk and plead with them to help me make a GRBL 4 (or 5) axis post.

2 Likes

Rich, I don’t know if you will have any luck but, Millright CNC is using GRBL for their 4 axis machine.

Gary

Yeah, but …there are no Fusion posts or a Millright (in the public library) Their website says: (Grbl is what you’d want to select) <— Which is NOT a 4 axis. Do you know where they hide their 4-axis post?

Have you looked at the Avid CNC wrap y - A post or the wrap X- A post for fusion? Since things are slow at NASA I could probably bang out a modded post if I knew what the GRBL board is doing? Is the board the supergrbl board?

Yes. (Now 13 more letters to make Rob happy)

1 Like

Have you seen/tried this one?

Is the board remapping Y to the B axis ? It’s like a blackhole of nothingness on programming for the SuperGerbil board, just digging through their firmware trying to make sense of what they have added to the base Grbl code.

Yes (as I said somewhere above) it does work.

1 Like