Suggestion for best Vbit

I am still coming to grips with myS3 and have the 301& 302 vbits but no others vbits yet.

I plan to engrave a Chinese dragon in to the top of a small jewellery box. The box is made of pine and has been painted white.The box lid is only 2 mm thick but I will add a 5 mm insert inside to give me more meat for the Vcarve. My initial setup actually cut thru the lid in the simulation.

I have set up a trial cut using both of these to look at the simulations and gauge the level of detail each provide but think I probably need a 30 degree bit to see what gives the best result. The image I will be converting and cutting is attached.

I would like some suggestions on what bits would be recommended by some of those more experienced in this type of project.

As this is my first try at this sort of project I fully expect to break at least one bit and will buy 2 or 3 so I really donā€™t want to shell out for an Amana or Whiteside yetā€¦Iā€™ll probably get something from Drillman or similar.
DFragon

1 Like

Hi @Gerryattrick,

The first thing Iā€™ll say, which is not going to be helpful Iā€™m afraid, is that pine is unfortunately not the best for intricate v-carving (YMMVā€¦), it doesnā€™t hold detail as well as other tighter-grain woods.

That said, since this is what you are dealing with, and your dragon is probably going to be small (jewellry box sizedā€¦) with lots of details I would do two things:

• use a 30deg vbit or even a lower angle, as you said. I used a 25Ā° single flute vbit for this samuraĆÆ and absolutely fell in love with that tool. It was not even particularly expensive (but I sourced it locally in France so it wonā€™t help you). It looks sharp because it is (very much so)

• use Advanced V-carve to set a depth limit of your choosing, probably 1.5mm to 2mm in your case? since that dragon has a mix of very narrow features and wider areas (e.g. the legs), depth-limited v-carving is a must I think.

And thenā€¦flatness and levelness of the stock with respect to the machine axes will be absolutely critical to get a good result, any minute difference in surface height and you will get either uncut areas or features that are cut too deep/are too wide and detail is lost. And thereā€¦Iā€™m afraid the only sure way to get this is to surface the stock just before v-carving, and without removing it from the machine in between. Since you already painted the box whiteā€¦not ideal, but maybe consider re-surfacing the top, then re-painting, then v-carving. You may get away with not doing it, but all bets are off, and since you only have one shot at thisā€¦

Precise Z-zeroing will also be a must, as for all v-carving jobs. If you are going to zero manually using the paper method, using really small increments at the end and stop as soon as you feel the bit barely catching. Those low angle vbits are so pointy, that it is quite easy to jog them down a little too much and have a zero that ends up being a hair below where it should beā€¦but at that level of detail, it matters.

I would not worry about breaking vbits in pine, itā€™s so soft that unless you have your feeds and speeds very wrong, you are more likely to get a messy cut than breaking anything.

Finally: an epoxy inlay after applying a coat of shellac would make the v-carve pop-up really nicely, but thatā€™s a discussion for another day!

3 Likes

Hi Julien,
Au contraireā€¦your response is very helpful. Normally I would not have chosen pineā€¦I do wood turning and know itā€™s not the best but I hope the paint might make it better than unpainted. I may yet resurface the box as the insert will give more ā€œmeatā€ to allow that. I plan on making a couple of attempts on spare pine stock first to see how things hold up.
I selected a couple of 30 deg bits thru Drillman and left them in the cart to see what any recommendations might be. Iā€™ll go ahead with the order and give things a try. If all else fails I can start again using one of the files from CutRocketā€¦maybe from John Clarke. I have some lovely Silky Oak but itā€™s probably too good to vcarve. It certainly wonā€™t get painted! I also have some 40,000 year old Swamp Kauri I could use but only after I know I have the technique right.
I love the work on the Samuraiā€¦was it a file from Etsy or similar?
Thanks for taking time to reply.

Alan

1 Like

Wow. I had to look that up, quite interesting.

Yes. It does not seem to be available anymore (it was from ā€œExpertOutitā€ seller) but there are similar ones there.

The file in question, as can be seen from the watermark is from istock and is currently available:

Pine is cheap ā€” Iā€™d go ahead and try it, just spray it w/ a hardening fixative first, cheating the depth a bit high, then re-spray (w/ it still in place on the machine) and then jog down and make a finishing pass ā€” it may surprised you (and the practice would be good before committing w/ something precious).

1 Like

Hi Will,
I spotted the issue with the dragon after I posted. I got it from a site that promoted free images. Iā€™ll try it for practise now I have it and, provided it works ok Iā€™ll look to purchase although price seems high and I might look at Etsyā€¦have not really looked at them before.
Iā€™m hoping the paint might give stability to the pine for the carve. I prefer to use a decent woodā€¦NZ pine is very fast growing and hence softer than overseas varieties. Unfortunately our BIG BOX stores like Lowes and HF donā€™t stock anything much other than pine. Anything else takes a fair struggle to locate or requires purchase on large/expensive quantities.
I have plenty of time to complete the projectā€¦unusual for mešŸ˜‰

Iā€™ve been thereā€¦then I happened to fall in love with bamboo, and ever since I have become very familiar with the kitchen aisle at Ikea.

2 Likes

Oh man - Yes!

Then you want more, and they donā€™t have pieces big enough. So you start to main-line the big stuff from Plyboo and other sellers who will sell you 1.5" x 26" x 97" bamboo countertops or 4ā€™ x 8ā€™ x 3/4" sheets without knowing you are an addict, just looking for the next big piece of bamboo. :grin:

1 Like

LOLā€¦I think a chain here called Briscoes has Bamboo cutting boards so maybe Iā€™ll loiter there next time I am close to an outlet. No Ikea in NZ yet but rumour has it they are coming.

2 Likes

I was lucky enough to visit NZ a few years back, what a fantastic country!
The beaches on the west side of the South Island were absolutely covered in all sorts of lovely looking hardwood logs/trunks. People seemed to have been helping themselves to it. I thought that if I lived there I would be down there every day!
I take it that you are nowhere near this free ā€œshopā€ Alan?

Noā€¦I am almost diagonally oppositeā€¦up North and on the East coastā€¦a place called Whangamata at the bottom of the Coromandel Peninsular. We were recently voted ā€œBest Beachā€.
https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tTP1TcwSSkrqjBg9OIqz0jMS0_MTSxJBABVWQel&q=whangamata&oq=Whanga&aqs=chrome.1.0i355i433j46i433j69i57j69i61j69i60.3814j0j7&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Next month Jan and I are off to do a 2 week tour of the South Island with my son and his partnerā€¦ Picton, Hanmer, Christchurch, Akaroa, Hokitika, Westport, Mt Cook, Queenstown and Milford Sound. Mrs Google will give you an idea of the joys on that tripšŸ˜‰.
Not too much decent wood on our beachā€¦mainly offcuts from local commercial pine forestsšŸ˜©

Hi Alan,
I am from NZ originally from Auckland but down in Oamaru.One of the best woods so far I have used is Silver beech,wow it machines very nice and that pale pink colour comes up well.I got it from Mt Roskill in Auckland.Another good one is the macracarpa,we bought some down with us from trees on the property and the cnc has done it proud.

@Julien where did you get that 25 degree bit from?

My favorite local (French) dealer:

https://www.cncfraises.fr/pointes-javelots-1-dent-carbure-evomax/323-pointe-javelot-1-dent-30-degres-evomax-carbure-pointe-0-1-mm-queue-3-175mm.html

($14)

1 Like

Oh dearā€¦Jan will not be pleased! I am about to hunt out some Cherry Beech thanks to your postšŸ¤Ŗ
My fave for turning is Silky Oakā€¦it has a lovely silver fleck. I have a nice piece I plan to use for a CNC box build.l

Pity my school french,which used to be fluent when I lived in England, is now almost non existant or they might have a potential customer

Julien, Is there a state side option for the bit.

1 Like

I coudnā€™t say, and a quick google search did not come up with anything interesting, but Iā€™m sure other folks here who use 30Ā° or lower vbits will be able to share links

Just clicked Amazon and they have the 25 degree bits for under $10,
Not sure of the quality, however, if you donā€™t push hard on in/mm per minute you should be fine with one of those.

Your vender does not ship to the U.S. Would you consider ordering 4 of the bits and sending them to me. Happy to compensate you for your time. I can sending the money for the cost of the bits etc. via paypal