Two questions Fusion 360 Tool paths

Man. I thought this program was hard to get to where I could model up things, but the CAM side of it is kicking my arse. Tool-path generation is so difficult. Seems like it takes multiple tries to get the correct geometry set, particularly. So, here are my two questions:

1. when running up a a “setup” and generating g code for a series of operations, how does one change tools at the appropriate places and re-zeroing Z? I get the prompt to insert new tool, but can’t seem to find the way to re-zero Z without starting over…

2. When cutting out a perimeter, I seem to remember a setting that allows one to avoid slot milling by programming a tool path that, basically, acts as an adaptive clearing run around the perimeter, thereby relieving the stress of a straight slot milled cutout. Where is that setting?

EWC

1. If your just starting and do not have the Bit Setter then you will want to post your operations based on the tool your using. What we’re looking for is one .NC file per tool change. If you only have one operation(opp) per tool this can be done by right clicking the opp and going to post.

If you have something like a roughing opp, then a cleanup opp with #201; then a surfacing opp with a 1/8" ball end mill you’ll want to do things a little different. First right click and ‘suppress’ the ball endmill opp, then click on the setup and say post. Next suppress all of the opps with #201 and unsuppress the ball endmill opp, then back to the setup and post another file. This example assumes that there is only one tool change.

Run your first .nc file then when your done load your next tool, rezero, and run the next .nc file!
The HIGHLY recommended alternative is a Bit Setter. Yes it’s expensive, but three tool change in and you’ll be glad you have it.

1. 2D adaptive you’ll need to extrude cut the slot you want the tool to cut in then the rest is easy ish… The first time it’s always a fight.
    John Saunders at NY CNC has a good video on it here.
    https://youtu.be/8D8livGvnUY

Partially covered in this discussion, at least the way some of us do it.

This depends on what HW you have (BitSetter or not), what G-code sender you are using, and what post-processor you are using in F360.

If you have a BitSetter, see here for an example of using Fusion360 to generate a single G-code file with all toolpaths, that will handle the tool changes (M6 commands, that CM or other senders will recognize).

If you don’t, you need to do it the same way you would in Carbide Create without a BitSetter, i.e. generate one G-code file per [set of consecutive toolpaths that use the same tool] and run them separately.

You can just select one (or several) specific toolpath in Fusion360 setup, and click the post process tool, it will generate G-code for those toolpaths.

Thank, guys for the quick response. I’m still running my g-code through CM and post processing to the Carbide 3D post in 360. Actually, running separate NC files for each tool is how I always did it when going from CC to CM. The design I am trying to run now was very large with multiple “bodies” to cut, so I was trying to streamline things and got a surprise when, after getting the tool change prompt and changing tools that there was no way in CM to go back and zero Z. May consider the bit-setter and, understanding to some extent the post discussion, there is, I suppose, some sort of setting that has to be enabled to allow the tool to re-probe after a tool change?

To follow a bit with another question, I am assuming that if I process each toolpath or similar-tool toolpaths out separately, that the files will assume the order they were in in the setup–that is, if I have an adaptive clearing toolpath with a 201 programmed, then move to, say, a 3D parallel with a ball, that the parallel operation will run under the assumption that the clearing had taken place. In other words, previous cuts will be assumed and interpreted by each subsequent tool operation–as long as I run the files in the same order as they appeared in the job setup.

Well currently, the only option is to enable the BitSetter in the configuration menu…if you have a BitSetter, that is. As you don’t, it will not be possible for you to handle a tool-change inside a G-code file correctly with CM, the “no-BitSetter” workflow in CM will not support it.
So:
CM + BitSetter = you’re golden
CM without BitSetter = you should follow the “old” workflow of one file per tool

Yes, you should be careful to run the separate G-code files in the same order they appear in the Fusion360 setup, especially (but not only) when using the “rest machining” option.

1 Like

I had a project just like this, and that was why I switched to the Bit Setter… probably the best bang for my buck so far.

Sorry if my post was confusing, I was on the mobile app at the time… But as @Julien said you really do need to be careful to load and run your tool paths in the right order. I have definitely sacrificed an 1/8" end mill, or two, to the machining gods. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Your post was fine and helpful. One of these days I will get a bit setter–after the HDZ, touch probe, a few dozen different endmills, spindle, maybe a better dust collection system . . . . . :crazy_face:

1 Like

My unsolicited advice, if you think your going to run multi tool jobs: Bit Setter, dust collector, HDZ and spindle all at once, touch probe. But everyone has the thing that annoys them the most about their work flow. Also a lot of stuff can be made up for by switching to CNCjs or BCNC if your so inclined.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.