UGS touchplate macro

Since I recently updated my grbl to 1.1f I was able to take advantage of G38.2
I use this as a macro in UGS

G38.2 z -.5 F1; G92 Z .065; G0 z .25

G38.2 Z -.5 F1
probes down .5 inch at 1 inch/min

G92 Z.065
sets Z to touch plate thickness (I use a copper clad pcb .065 thick)

G0 Z .25
retract tool

Position the tool at .5 inch or lower above touch plate (or change the Z higher if you like, keep in mind that it probes down at 1 inch/minute)

Run the macro. The tool will descend at 1 ipm until contact, then retract.
The value of Z0 will now be set at the material height.

I cannot take credit for this code, its floating around the web from several sources. I just put it all on one line in a UGS macro. Works great though!

3 Likes

So will this work now? Here is some code for a full probing

G92 x0
G92 y0
G92 z0
G21
G38.2 x-200.0 f300
G92 x20
G91 g0 x0.5
G91 g0 y1
G91 g0 x-1

g38.2 y-1 f3
G92 y2.3125
G91 g0 y0.125
G91 g0 z0.9
G91 g0 y-0.625

g38.1 z-1 f3
G92 z0.8
G91 g0 z0.125
G91 g0 y1 x1

1 Like

Made a basic Windows application to generate the gcode for an XYZ touch plate.

Works for me, but not responsible for any issues or damages. :slight_smile:

DropBox Link

3 Likes

Anyone tested The GRBL 1.1 with UGS master and triquetra? I tried but im having trouble, some times work and other dont.

Nice work. Looks great! I cant wait to give it a try this weekend.

I was interested in Triquetra. I really like his design for the touch plate. I would make my own but I only cut woods and plastics.

I have noticed 1,1 occasionally doing something strange with touch off code. I occasionally retracts when it should probe. If you try to probe without having homed the machine it will mess up. I dont know if homing only has to be done once, at the beginning of a job, or if the problem reoccurs later. I will be doing some experimentation this weekend

I havent had any problems with the Triquetra. I use it constantly. I home my machine at the start of each day and use the Triquetra every time I change a bit.

2 Likes

You updated to GRBL 1.1? And what version of UGS are you using?

Yes and the latest nightly build. Both the normal and platform version work for me.

Question about the UGS nightly build. Do I have to download a new one every once in a while, or does it update? Looking at the file dates, it appears my nightly build of the normal version was last updated in 2015. So I assume I need to periodically download a new nightly build. I plan on giving the platform version a go pretty soon.

If the one you get works you dont have to download anything unless you want to get any new features they are working on in beta.

I am using 1.09. I downloaded the nightly build of the classic, but it only has 3 macros. Otherwise it seems to work fine. I just wish it had more that 3 macros.

I have tried the UGS platform, it works fine except I cannot figure out how to get the Macro function to work at all.

I just ordered the triquetra. It seems to get a lot of good reviews on the forum. I am a bit concerned with the wiring.

Does it connect to the standard PROBE pins on the controller board like a simple touch plate?

Yes one wire to the positive pin and one to the negative pin

Hi there, I found your app on my machine today - I can’t load the file into CM - they show as errors in the code, any idea why this might be?

I have never tried it with CM, but the Gcode is valid, so it should work…

What are the errors? Is it just a spacing/formatting issue?

If I remember correctly G92 is not supported in Carbide Motion. Perhaps that is the problem?

2 Likes

That would be a problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought that changed with the new version of GBRL?

I have been using Triquetra with Intelligcode by Software Redifined. Intelligcode has those functions built in, but each axis must be done individually. I inserted the triquetra gcode as a macro and all works great.

1 Like