Upgraded to build 636

Upgraded to build 636 on Carbide Motion. Went through to set up new machine. Bit will not center over bitsetter. It stops at 850mm. It was working fine with the last build. Also, after using BitZero, now the job will plunge the router into the wood. Again, everything was fine with previous build. I have uninstalled and installed three times. Same results. I wish I never would of upgraded, now I cannot go back to the old build.

Which version were you using before?

We have two previous versions at:

https://carbide3d.com/downloads

For configuring the BitSetter it helps to calibrate for belt stretch after initial setup, then go back and re-run the setup to enable the BitSetter.

If you’ll let us know step-by-step:

• what you did
  • what you expected
  • what actually happened

and how you have configured things we should be able to walk through the new version with you.

So I built my Shapeoko Pro XXL w/ HDZ in June of 22. Never did an update to CM, I did update CC to version 7.

Configuring the bitsetter, I followed the promps on the set up. I used default position after enabling bitsetter and on the next screen I jogged the router as far down on the y axis as possible. It stopped at 850. I saved this setting because I could not get it to move anymore center.

As far as running the project. I jogged close to the lower left of the piece. Used BitZero, probed lower left corner. I was prompted to remove the ground clip. The machine went back to BitSetter and did two plunges, came back to where the it originated above the BitZero but higher on the Z axis. I assumed this was successful. So I clicked done on Set Zero tab and loaded my file. I was prompted to change bit, I did, the machine went to bitsetter and measured the tool. Turned the RPM to 3, turned on the router, hit RESUME. The router went to where the job starts but it plunged into the wood over 3/4" . My test piece is a simple square to be contoured at a depth of .125".

Please upload the .c2d file you are having this problem with.

We have a blog post on this sort of difficulty:

https://carbide3d.com/blog/unexpected-z-axis-plunges/

I wrote a bit about using the BitZero at:

including using the new version.

test square.c2d (44 KB)

Why did you go to this tab?

The Zero was already set by the BitZero. If you set the Z-axis zero when the machine is at the top of travel, then when you try to make the cut it will try to lift above the machine, lost steps at the top of travel, then be positioned higher than it ought to be, and will then plunge more deeply than it should.

Ok, so after removing the ground clip, and after the router returns to XY. I can go to running the program?

Do i clear offsets before using bitzero?

Yes, if the BitZero probing option set the zero where you want it to be.

If needed — why would that be necessary?

For a detailed overview on probing see:

and it may help to review:

https://my.carbide3d.com/gswso/06

1 Like

I have never cleared offsets in 5 years of running my Shapeoko. I suppose there are reasons but I cannot think of any for me.

2 Likes

Same here. Why would one need to clear offsets?

When initially built the machine.i had a similar issue when repeating the same stock. So i was advised to clear ofsets and rehome with bitzero. Never had an issue after that.

1 Like

I followed the steps above. When I rapid position back to current Z, it drove into the stock like it wanted to deeper. Leaving an indention. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

When I am having issues, once I think I am zeroed, I manually jog to zero and check. The offset (error) can help you narrow down the issue. Last time I had your issue I selected the wrong version of the probe. Good luck.

1 Like

One thing I’ve seen mentioned before but not on this thread is making sure you selected the correct Z config (Z-plus or HDZ) in the machine setup.

2 Likes

I too installed the new build 636 and the changes were more than I could wrap my head around. One of the big issues was the BitZero also. CM would not allow me to set a Z axis without reinitializing. Had to research to find the earlier version of CM and reinstalled it. Everything is back to normal now. Whew!

Are you referring to when you set a new Z height zero, and it then goes to the Bitsetter to re measure bit length?

1 Like

Where did you find the earlier versions?

Yes, then it comes back to x and y point but dives into the stock when I start a job.

Here’s 582: https://carbide-downloads.website-us-east-1.linodeobjects.com/cm/stable/582/CarbideMotion-582.exe