Wall thickness when carving walnut trays

I’m making a pumpkin shaped tray and intend to carve the bowls 1" deep with a minimum of 1/4" thick walls. Will this be thick enough in walnut. I’d rather ask then waste a bunch of walnut experimenting.

Thanks

On these the interior of the bottom piece is 1.5” deep with an overall wall thickness of .34. The lip at the top is half that.

That hollow cavity with the thin wall makes a resonance that sounded alarming at first.

I started a second box and tried a slightly different approach but didn’t think it through so well and the box got damaged in the final seconds of the cut.

1 Like

Walnut carves very well. The 1/4" thick wall is subjective to the use. Bowls are handled and are likely to be dropped. So depending on the size I would go .375" in case it is ever dropped. The 1/4" thickness would work but if it is a larger bowl then the slightly thicker wall might be better in the long run. If it is a small bowl then the 1/4" would work fine.

4 Likes

I have carved walnut down to 1mm thick for lips on edges of a ring box.

I am currently prototyping a box to go on the back of a camera using spare walnut before moving to Aluminium. These walls are 2mm thick. They’re much stronger than i thought. Walnut is great.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your input!!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.