What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

More clock parts.

Yet another nail biter finish, just a little wobble at the end but no shrapnel!

Plus the flutes on the end mill are too short.

Sometimes it’s good to be lucky.

19 Likes

Could you describe your work holding some? It looks like a 3-D printed jig, and you had to do a flip, but what is actually clamping the part?

My weekend project was turning this:

Into this:

Very satisfying.

23 Likes

Took the pictures only after I was done with the whole part that’s why clamping might not be so obvious. Jig is only used for the 2nd side. There are m5 threaded inserts in the jig, but I had to use metal clamps (similar to the ones visible in the picture) as well.

Firstly, I used threaded inserts to hold the piece in the jig and milled out the center part (half moon shaped). Once I was done, I used this area to secure the part to the bed.

Secondly, I removed the m5 bolts, surfaced the top of the part and machined the pocket for the yellow acrylic insert.

That’s basically the gist of it. I don’t fully trust the printed jig for holding the part, so the clamps had to be used even during the first step. The jig was mostly used to locate the part. Hope this makes it somewhat clearer.

1 Like

Even the rejects get used for something! I messed up the guitar body so it became a snack board gift…

32 Likes

I made a gnome.
Related post here.

21 Likes

Text came out great! 60 degree V-bit? How deep? Awesome.

A simple half hour Christmas decoration. Ash with a Yew bauble.

21 Likes

The horizontal text was done with a 30º bit, vertical text and under was done with a 60º. The metal plate was a 90º MCEtcher

1 Like

Purple Heart is some hard stuff, but managed to make some beautiful firewood.

10 Likes

Made a 14" 60° Quilters Triangle for a local customer.

13 Likes

Not only is it hard and oily I have gotten more splinters from purple heart than any other wood I have handled. Although I have been using some Rosewood on some plaques and I think it is even harder than purple heart. I was using my 3HP table saw to cut some 2" pieces and it did not bog down it was very hard to push through.

Nice job. What engraver did you use for it and at what settings?

I used a LMT-Onsrud 37-05, 60deg carbide engraver bit with the following settings:
RPM 10000
Feed 55ipm
Depth per pass .005
Depth of cut .015

The material was also extruded and not the preferred cast.

1 Like

Nice job for sure. Thanks for the info. background.

Variation on a theme…Xmas table decorations. More Ash with a Yew bauble.

11 Likes

I did a last minute gift. I cut the design in a premade serving board yesterday and filled with epoxy. I was able to accelerate the curing by putting it in the sun with a plastic bin for a cover and then under a bright lamp overnight.

The board warped a bit so when I went to flatten the epoxy out I dug into the wood at the top slightly. A few passes in the drum sander cleaned things up and flattened the board after that. I am glad now that I pocketed deeper than I thought necessary.

11 Likes

Just finished this today. It will be an auction item for our school’s tuition aide fund raiser. Some cnc routering, jtech lasering, welding, and woodworking elbow grease. I live inn Coug country so it should go well.

33 Likes

Very nice piece. Hopefully it will raise money for your charity. I recently made a checker board and cut the checkers on the Shapeoko. Mine are flat with the crown on the bottom so you can turn them over after being crowned.

I had a cigar box to store the checkers in an made 4 extra of each color because the checkers always seem to get lost.

9 Likes

I didn’t use the machine for much on this project however, what it did do, made all the difference! 60d vee bit at 0.03" contour.
I was tempted to use MC Etcher on the acrylic and decided against it.
Magnets used for closure on a framed 12x12 acrylic blank.

10 Likes