What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Very nice. What was the runtime for your box top? It’ would seem that something of this detail and 3D would take days to finish according to the information on some projects I designed and was going to use Advanced Vcarve in CC Pro. My question then is, can Carbide Create Pro handle and work these files?

I created the toolpaths for my deer scene on an Advanced Vcarve toolpath and when it calculated up the estimated time, it came to 796 minutes. With times like this, I couldn’t get much of anything done that was worth anything of true value for the amount of time it would have taken to produce.

Again, very nice horses carving. I’m always looking for advice and information that could help. Thanks.

I had three different files. This was only my second 3D carve really and I wasn’t sure how things were going to go and whether I was going to want more detail. Started with the first one and then created another with the 1/16 bit and then one with a 1/32 bit.

If I had not restricted the 1/16 and 1/32 working area by drawing in some additional vectors it may have taken days.

This was just for the carving on the top. The actual cox creation was in another file. You can see that I built one file from the other and disabled some of the paths as I went.

I don’t know whether these were reasonable settings or not, but they worked. I have not gotten very scientific about it.

1 Like

I could live with those times for a 3D carving, especially if I was working on other projects or processing wood to be ready for carving. I don’t like to stand there having to babysit the machine, but I find myself standing there like a moth attracted to the light as the machine works thru the program.

Creating different parts of the program work like you did, you took out a lot of extra toolpathing keeping the main work as the incentive part of the work? I’m still figuring out the programs as it is. CC Pro is a little hard to navigate when trying to find the things people talk about with different processes of programming. I was trying my hand in working with different layers and stack texting, and I get stuck at the copying of both text into their own layer and then welding them together.

The videos on YouTube are all for Vector Vcarve or F360 and I have neither one. I have CC Pro and I had to do a lot of searching to find each part of what the guys on their videos had said to do. I have 13 years of metal machining, CNC programming, and manual mill and lathe work. Having this S5 Pro is great, but the programming is so rudimentary and derelict, that I have trouble finding any of the higher functions. What it really comes down to is me not being proficient with the program enough to know all of the options and capabilities the program offers.

A lot of the videos out there on stacked text show using regular end mills and straight sides. If you do that it is pretty easy.

If you want to do it with a V bit you need to remember to offset the top layer vector by the amount appropriate for your bit.

This video shows that technique and how to do the calculation. He is using VCarve but the same method works in CC.

4 Likes

Thank you for this video. It is a great help for stacking text or pictures. I will be going back thru the video a few times to make sure I find options that he was using to understand how CC can do this same stuff.

Please see:

and

3 Likes

Well, not today but made on a HDM over several months.
47 CAM setups, lol.

Brian Law clock 23.

Minus escapement, managed to damage it today. Easily fixed with a new one.

40 Likes

Wow that is very nice! Looks complicated. The shape of the gears and the unique layout of the hour numbers really draws you in. Congratulations, a lot of work but the end result is so worth it!

2 Likes

Thanks Max.

It was a challenge. So many mistakes.

I have plans for two more!

1 Like

Completely missed this question.
I’m not sure what the original font was. My wife had purchases an STL.
But a really close match would be KellsFLF.

1 Like

I am going to try and get this cut tonight or tomorrow. A couple of months ago I gave a presentation on the Golden Ratio to my wood working club. Not sure where I found this and it might have been here on the forum. I thought it was interesting and really not hard to make. The thing is called Funky Gears and I have it all done in CC.

Here is a picture of a finished project. Sometimes I just like to make useless things for the fun of it. So you just put your finger in the nautilus and spin. You can find the free plan by searching for funkygear

I finally got to cut out my FunkyGears project. I like it but I think I need to redesign it a little and put a fill in the big nautalis for a handle to turn the piece. I like it. I cut it out of some scrap prefinished maple plywood.

11 Likes

My jewelry box above uses the golden ratio. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Excellent Tutorial and video explanation! Thank you for posting

I think it tracks with the method from @WillAdams but explains it a little differently.

Thank you WillAdams for your input. I have been looking into trying to figure out the last stages of making the final programming layer of stacked text. I don’t want to just stack text. I want to be able to put pictures behind or above text, or pictures above pictures under the layer parts.

I havent looked at what you have posted yet, but am heading over there now to see what you might have given me to research more into. I thank you in advance for helping me along my journey towards understanding layers and working towards making more in-depth carvings from CC Pro.

Interesting and clever, thanks for explaining. I am impressed and couldn’t conceive how it could have been done otherwise!

A gift for my daughter

8 Likes

I love what you have done. What did you use for a power supply for the lights?
Thanks,

Thanks so much. It’s a 5v 10amp power supply from AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800224457590.html

1 Like

Made some lead weight molds for a fisherman coworker who dives for lost lead weights and then melts them into the particular flat bank sinker he uses when fishing. I work for fish :hugs: :sushi:
he wanted some custom molds. This is the first one with 2x 8 ounce flat bank sinkers. The harder ones I’ll take on next. Took maybe 3 hours to design on fusion 360 CAD and CAM. Took 2.5 hours to cut on the nomad 3. I stopped a lot to vacuum up aluminum chips. I used a blank mold they sell on the Do-it mold website so I wouldn’t have to start from scratch. $50 for the blank mold. I used some isopropyl to help keep it cool.

19 Likes