What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

I love this! What did you use for the software? It looks like something that might be beyond Carbide Create. Thanks for sharing this.

F360 = Fusion 360.

plus twenty more characters.

1 Like

Not the prettiest thing, but made a little phone charging/storage tray! The center hole is for a MagSafe charging puck and it fits perfect.

11 Likes

I should have figured that out. Just not quite used to the shorthand used in the CNC world. thanks, Bill

1 Like

I would guess it could be done in a version of Carbide Create? Maybe @WillAdams could comment? I believe STL’s can be imported to CC?

With a little help from @fenrus they can.

@Griff, looks like you’re going full- @RichCournoyer mode ? :smiley:

5 Likes

Thank you so much! Will make sure to have a read and try it out!

Don’t I wish! The desk he built is a work of art. I’m just making a coffee table. Plus, as I recall he hand carved the legs etc…

2 Likes

Really appreciate the detailed explanation. I’ve tried reading it over a few times but can’t seem to really follow sorry. If you don’t mind, would be able to share a picture next time you have that set up? Thanks Patrick!

1 Like

man you guys have been making some cool stuff!

Ive been pushing the HDM, 316 stainless, aluminum, oak, its a blast! The 1.5kw spindle can hit 3 cubic inches in 6061 pretty reliably

And in an effort to get better at the day job Youtubes

17 Likes

I’ve been looking for some HDM footage but no luck except for the announcement video. Looks like a super capable machine and looking forward to seeing what you make next.

Hey Vince, good to see you back. Outstanding hybrid/hybrid table!

And…what a well thought out and produced video - hats off!

1 Like

OK, now that is just sick!!! I’m still new and learning. I know some people would just be ready to toss their machines in the trash after seeing amazing work like that. You just showed me the possibilities. Thanks for that.

2 Likes

An alternative to @Caffein8ted excellent technique is boring index pin holes in your wasteboard.

The key is to bore the holes last, after the hybrid table slats/auxiliary waste board is/are fastened down. This ensures all the holes are perfectly square to the machines XY.

You can then index your stock directly against the pins, use spacers if needed, index a jig to the pins etc etc.

The index pin holes in the photo are widely spaced, 80mm I think, obviously you can bore any pattern/spacing you like. I can use the threaded insert holes as well with the threaded pins in the white box - but not for precise alignment since the inserts can be at slight angles in the waste board.

The pins can be had at McMaster-Carr.

Questions?

12 Likes

@Griff I’ve been thinking of doing this for a while. Any minute clearance in those holes for the dowel pins? Or match the pin diameter exactly?

Yes, a bit. I forget how much but I think you’re best off to experiment with a few holes to find the best fit. Your machine and your end mills will produce slightly different results then mine or anyone else’s for that matter.

Unless we both have Datron’s I suppose.

2 Likes

THREE HOURS LATER…

First phase of the top complete. SENET Lettering between the Goddesses to go.
For those that may have interest, I used a 20-degree V-bit to complete this. I am happy with how it turned out.

13 Likes

Thanks @Griff, good points. No Datron here…that’s for sure.

Made a custom wedding card box for my brother this weekend. It made me want a full-blown CO2 laser, but nonetheless turned out quite well.

Fusion360 render:

14 Likes

Very nice and ‘crisp’ carving.

1 Like

This is great, thank you all for the suggestions! Will definitely have to try this going forward