I had to do one more operation to get the required thickness and a radius on top.
I cut a small pocket so I could align the parts parallel to the machine.
For this I used a “deep range” 1/4 ball-end due to the height of the part.
This also prevented my dust boot from performing as well as normally so I had to rig up some scrap wood to catch some chips.
First project. Learning basics of how to set up and run Shapeoko4 using dxf files to import to CC6 and learning how to create and improve toolpath files for better results… Other user posts are amazing so I hope to get better!!!
Go up this thread to Jan 18, that’s where I started.
As far as process for the legs, after quite a bit of looking I found an STL of a leg I liked. I imported it into Fusion 360 and spent more time then I’d have liked learning how to reduce the number of triangles in the file and scaling it to a size I liked.
The rest was easy. haha.
Once in Fusion at a size and level of detail I was happy with it was time for toolpaths. Four different setups (one for each side). Only one tool, a 1/4" ballmill for everything but the mortise’s, that was a 1/4" 2 flute, flat.
Each leg blank was a glue up of 3 pieces of walnut each trimmed to exactly 3" each side, very important when you are flipping a project 4 times!
I had forgotten how much I liked mahogany. Made a gun cabinet for my Dad in high school Industrial Arts out of mahogany; started from raw wood planks to the finished product. It was finished with a look about like your “heart tree.” +1