What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Thanks @Griff, good points. No Datron here…that’s for sure.

Made a custom wedding card box for my brother this weekend. It made me want a full-blown CO2 laser, but nonetheless turned out quite well.

Fusion360 render:

14 Likes

Very nice and ‘crisp’ carving.

1 Like

This is great, thank you all for the suggestions! Will definitely have to try this going forward

ok I’ve uploaded to cutrocket; will update once it passes the moderation and it goes live

https://cutrocket.com/p/61ea23f4b389b/

3 Likes

Little beatles wall hanging album in a case.

15 Likes

VERY COOL!!!
What process did you use for this artwork?

It’s an old vinyl record that I cut with a 1mm end mill. My mom found the middle sticker online so just used a cheap record from the local goodwill store that cost a dollar so I didn’t actually have to ruin a beatles record.
Background is a piece of gold vinyl

4 Likes

Nicely done!
Quite creative.

More HDM
More Chips
More Faster

Initial tests of the Datron 6mm Cross Cutter. Awesome tool that is basically a single and two flute combined with chipbreaker. Datron apps engineer specified 3kw spindle minimum but I extrapolated the datas from his recommendations and put the 1.5kw HDM spindle to the test.

Beat my previous record of 3 cubic inches in 6061 by 25% and still have more to go. Sorry about the cellphone quality video, this was a initial test. John wants me to do a wednesday video on the tool so that should be fun.

15 Likes
  1. That is fantastic cutting! :smiley:
  2. Ouch, my wallet. :astonished:
  3. I don’t need to cut that fast anyway. :slight_smile:
  4. My $25 Onsrud bits are just fine. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

The cost is up there but for moneymaker parts, the depth of cut and power requirements of this tool seem very well balanced for a roughing chipbreaker. Datron tooling has always performed well above the cost difference to standard tooling for me.

For large projects I can definitely see the worth, but I hear you.

6 Likes

I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration. I’m brand new, and it’s really nice to see that something this beautiful is possible… particularly after my evening of failed attempts at what seems like it should be easy.

I have SO much to learn.

This box is beautiful.

Prepping stock for a pure Silver Jewelry project with a Datron 12mm 2F in the Nomad 3.

Awesome results when spindle load is matched with optimum feeds and speeds, had to share. Datron 12mm Facemill #0068442, 18,000rpm, 54ipm, 0.003/0.002 axial steps, dry cut.

12 Likes

Tried to make something that stops this little camera from overheating.
Works pretty good.
Made from an old 40mm heatsink.

14 Likes

Looks like the camera had a pretty scary viewpoint :cold_face:

(No, I don’t really think you machined it like that)

A few weeks ago, I purchased a JTech Photonics laser add on for my Shapeoko Pro. After install and some testing, this was my first project.

12 Likes

First actual project… mahogany - for my wife’s desk.

19 Likes

I’ve decided to make my machine pay rent so I’ve started making family signs.

I’m still working out the best way to paint it. I hand painted the first one, which was kinda slow, but got the job done. I masked and spray painted the second one, which is a little nerve wracking because paint goes everywhere. I’ve also wondered if I could make a reusable paint masking jig :thinking:. Anyways, here’s the one we made for our house. I’m pleased with how it turned out, and I won’t hate my life if I make a lot of them.

17 Likes

Mark, I’ve settled on mask and paint by hand with acrylic paints. Spray paint leaves too much overspray in the air for me, and it really wants to run up the grain structure since its so thin. Even with sealing the v-carve.

However, lately I’ve been doing lettering with my laser. It isn’t the same as a good v-carve, like yours, but it is quicker.

Your sign looks really crisp.

Electrical engineering / EMC themed candy dispenser. The wood is solid walnut and the display is 0.22" acrylic from Home Depot (as far as I can figure out, not cast acrylic). The image in the acrylic is a Smith chart which is used to chart complex impedances. It uses a strip of RGB leds controlled by raspberry pi PICO which is mounted in the bottom stand.

This was roughly based on the free plans available from Kreg:

21 Likes