What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Which size and grade is that surface plate of yours?

4 inch wide, 3.25 across, 1.5 tall,. #302 vee.

I write my name on all my tools. It is a compulsion like writing your name in the snow.

A cute little box to hold my newest invention.

Of course there’s a lid, and I still need to laser engrave the pretties. (Tomorrow)

9 Likes

Pretty simple one for me, knocked up a quick spot to store my frequently used 18v tools, combined with a bit of 3D printing I think it ended up pretty well :slight_smile:

also my first project since going back to the CarbideMotion control board from LinuxCNC. Have to say I felt quite blind using CM - but no disconnects since I moved house so happy there!

5 Likes

It’s 5083 cast plate 15mm thick and same size the original xxl mdf boards

I meant the Insize surface plate in the pictures with the motorcycle headlight brackets.

Edit: Correcting the autocorrect.

aha sorry :slight_smile: its 300x200x75mm

1 Like

2 sets of coasters ready for epoxy for a child development center

Getting ready for endgrain cutting boards

Wife wants a noodle board…in the chute for tomorrow

7 Likes

What is a noodle board? Is it a board to dry fresh pasta? For food safe surfaces you can finish with mineral oil you can get at drug store or there are commercial salad bowl finishes. You need to reapply the mineral oil when it appears dry. Never use natural oils like olive, walnut or other organic type oils because they go rancid. Mineral Oil is safe, cheap and readily available.

Never put a cutting board/noodle board in a dish washer. The detergent and hot water will warp it and take all your finish off.

No idea why they call it “Noodle Board”. I guess these are really in demand right now. I’ve gotten asked to make one by a hand full of people.

I use walrus oil and wax. Both food safe and probably the best finishing product I’ve used. Super impressed by it

3 Likes

As long as you use a food safe product. Cutting boards are a hot item these days. Looks like in the pic it is a stove cover for more work surface.

This looks great. I was trying to figure something out for quite a while. and then I realized I had an old studio mic stand I bought at an auction year ago. It is built to hold very large microphones and it works perfectly. However, if I need it back, this idea is perfect.

Cutting rosettes from solid PVC. That stuff is a MESS no matter how much extraction I use.

Cuts nice and fast and takes paint just fine.

18 Likes

Would a water mist help cut down on the static mess created by this? I’ve cut rigid foam on my machine and spent days cleaning up after, I know the pain.

Water would be a bit rough on the MDF spoil board though.

Just switched from the V1 to V2 sweepy hood and it seems there is a bit better air flow with V2 and that is helping.

5 Likes

When you say solid pvc, it that the foamed stuff the big box stores carry.? Where do you get it?

Thanks,
Tom

2 Likes

This is using the material intended for exterior trim boards. So it came as 5/4 nominal material with one side highly textured to look like rough cedar or something. First step is cut it down from 12’ to shorter lengths then ran it through my benchtop planer to bring it to 0.9". The CNC did a flattening pass to make it 0.875" (7/8") prior to cutting the designs.

The material I used came from Menards : https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/siding/trim-boards/royal-reg-building-products-1-1-4-x-6-white-pvc-trim-board/1429266/p-1510903718991-c-13411.htm?tid=-3818077705475385279&ipos=13

4 Likes

That’s good info. Thanks.
I made the ‘mistake’ of telling my wife that I could make rosettes with whatever we want on them. So, now I’m on the hook to crank out about 30 rosettes and the same number of plinth blocks for the doors in the house.

I had planned on using just pine, since they were going to be painted anyway, ut we all know how well pine cuts. This stuff looks great to work with.

5 Likes

The material has some small pinhole voids. But they seal/cover with primer. At a normal viewing distance and with a coat of paint they look perfect.

It also helps to have the lights turned off and ride by on a galloping horse with your eyes closed.

7 Likes

I replaced an old plastic drip plate near the kitchen sink with this solid laminated amber bamboo one -18 x 12" , carved from 3/4 stock. I used Vcarve dble. sided machining, and especially the new function of tapering flutes on the top for the drip slots and the same function on the bottom to taper .12 from back to front using a 1" diameter leveling bit. Finished w / Emmet’s The Good Stuff - food safe and water repelling. https://www.butcherblock.com/product/emmets-good-stuff/

![Det Drip pan|690x496]

27 Likes