What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Love it. I think I can see my house…

1 Like

Working on some Halloween decorations.

25 Likes

An homage :yum:

11 Likes

Tried a new Project this week.
meh… Not super happy with it. I used a water-based charcoal stain and the Epoxy absorbed some.

I do like how the colors kind of blended. It’s a great custom feature lol…(oops)

7 Likes

Start over. Do it “right.” Nothing wrong with that. :smiley:

1 Like

Try sealing after stain with shellac or a light coat of epoxy.

1 Like

Good point. This is a quick and easy carve.
I think I will do it over this time staining it first.

Shellac is cheap and dries fast. Plus you can overcoat a finish with oil or water based over shellac.

dewaxed_shellac

2 Likes

What material and finishing technique did you use, really
excellent!

attempting my first puzzle for grandkid today. will post results bad or good later… ha ha

Ok I made same mistake I see all people make with a puzzle! Now how to fix it

9 Likes

Looks like a fun project! I haven’t tried making one before; was the “mistake” you mention cutting on the line instead of outside? I’d like to learn from your experience, lol.

1 Like

Still trying to figure that out. I think it’s a issue with diameter of end mill (2mm) vs the 1/2 in material? Can’t use any smaller end mill so will try again on another scrap piece

So it’s better even a bit to tight now. But good

6 Likes

Plan in a Kerf Offset.

1 Like

yeah it works good now but if you painted it then to tight. looking in CC i dont see a “kerf” option but will keep playing with it

Second Time Making this project.
I made it for a Buddy of Mine who Loves the Grateful Dead.
This time I decided not to Stain the Steal Your Face logo.

Here is the First Time.

I am not sure which one I like better.
The Burnt SYF logo looks pretty good, but the Colors on the other really POP…

2 Likes

I once scroll sawed out an elephant puzzle that spelled ELEPHANT. I had disassembled the puzzle and put int a gift box. When she opened it up it was embarrassing because she could not assemble the puzzle that spelled ELEPHANT. Some people do not have the sparital skill to see the image in their mind. If I had thought that she could not have put the puzzle together I would not have made it and given it to her. I put it together and it is stilling on display at her house.

2 Likes

There is an “Offset” option. Offset each cut line a small amount (~0.005" to each side), then use the trim vector command.

2 Likes

I gave the puzzle to my son in law in pieces and the simple elephant puzzle took him a while to figure out(few min) as he had no reference.