What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Shadow box for my wife. My first real project on my new machine. I Learned a lot and I had an oops but I believe it is still useable. I just have to run the cutout tool path after I decide what I want to do with the cut through where my bit decided to come out and I didn’t catch it until after it raised up. I’ll know next time to stop when things don’t sound right now that I know how to successfully stop, edit, and restart a job.

11 Likes

You might cut a plug and glue it in and recut just that pocket. Most of the plug would be cut away. Repocket that whole square to the bottom, glue in patch and recut to the depth of the others. Or leave it alone or cut a thin patch and glue that in the bottom.

Good first attempt. All failures lead to success.

4 Likes

My inclination would be to work up a false back which would allow it to serve as a secret compartment.

1 Like

I need to deck the bottom off yet but I cut this hdm tool height probe adapter on my nomad 3 today. Its to let you use the probe on a smw fixture plate and still be fully bolted down with no modification to the plate as it doesnt come pre drilled for the triangular mounting the probe uses.

11 Likes

We’ll find out what your boys are made of on Christmas Eve.

1 Like

Very first project on my 4. I’m hooked.

16 Likes

That’s just a custom feature.
Maybe put a light right there… lol.

Wife is commissioning christmas gifts…

16 Likes

I’d love to know the process of getting the topo data (where?) to converting to STL file. Is there a tutorial somewhere for this?

See:

1 Like

I thought the same thing; LED light feature.

Cut a square, smaller than the box back, attach it with about 1/4” separation from the back where the opening is and fix a small LED (battery powered possibly) to the back.

3 Likes

https://touchterrain.geol.iastate.edu/ is a decent place to get STL files for terrain the easy way

8 Likes

Awesome! Thank you - much appreciated!

Wow. Busting out Christmas orders non Stop all month long.
I am finally done with my paid orders. Here’s something for my Wife and of course there is a knot in the worst spot. lol…

Old Fashioned Hot Cocoa

18 Likes

After dipping your cookie, invariably a piece falls off… Looks great

2 Likes

A very small project for the machine, but it made my life a lot easier as I am FAR from being a master craftsman with a wood chisel.

17 Likes

Snowflake coaster

8 Likes

made 2 versions of a fixture to make my maker coin, then made the maker coin

9 Likes

Boomer Sooner Wall Art

1/2” Oak Plywood for the backer
1/4” MDF for everything else

7 Likes

Walnut cribbage board with mc etcher aluminum lid

12 Likes