What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

openstreetmap can also export SVGs… that’s how I did one of my designs (just took a pile of inkscape work)

In the SVG export, you don’t get a clean square, instead all the structures will be “whole”, so railroad will be waaaaay outside the square you selected for example, and in inkscape I had to “trim” the whole design to fit in the rectangle.

10 Likes

I think it’s a big Charcuterie board

Finally received my nomad3 so I cut the starter project :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep, go to the share dialog on the right, choose SVG as the output format, select an area and download.

As @fenrus said, it is a lot of inkscape work to clean up everything. Note that the streets are strokes with a thickness and not paths. So convert them to from strokes to paths.

4 Likes

Killing mosquitos with a bazooka. That set up looks bomb proof and ready for war - makes me want to save some pennies.

1 Like

Though the scale of your upgrade is something many would flounder at, it is great you found a plaice for your fish etching.

6 Likes

Hmm… I decided to mullet over for a little whale, and decided, on net, I should dolphinitely not make any further fish-related jokes.

4 Likes

What is wrong with killing mosquitoes with a bazooka, they deserve it. We have had a month of rain and the ones that are bitting me raise a big itchy spot for days. I would use a nuke if I could get one. Death to all mosquitoes with extreme prejudice.

1 Like

Today I cut a sign for someone’s 15 year old. First time using the whole depth on my shapeoko XL. It felt a little strange running the project off the front of the machine. Found a guitar online and a skull and worked to combine them in Carbide Create. Sign is 15 high by almost 19 inches wide. Stained with Saman Black stain before machining. Wood is ash.

17 Likes

Very nice.
Is that just green anodized aluminum and what wattage laser did you use?

1 Like

That’s the same setup I have, SO3 with Jtech 4.2. I’ll have to give that a try on aluminum also. I’ve been running several small plaques on blue anodized aluminum, .025” thick, with the MC Etcher. The only downside with the etching approach I find is that I need to clean up the grooves quite a bit with a toothbrush.

7 Likes

Yesterday:

Just messing around learning more about the SPXXL.

Today:
I surfaced and put a two inch grid pattern on the waste board.
I BIG THANKS to WillAdams for helping me with the grid.

10 Likes

Please forgive my ignorance.
What the heck is grist?
Thanks for the Progress statement! :wink: :blush:

1 Like

Wikipedia

1 Like

Cut some steel for a Haas VF6 upgrade on the Pro xxl

13 Likes

Hi @Vince.Fab - could you provide a bit more info about that fancy deck on your pro?

It’s not this one: Carbide3D Shapeoko 3 XXL Aluminum Fixture Tooling Plates – Saunders Machine Works

Will it be coming soon? How many plates are involved?

2 Likes

[Note from the future: I posted a full write-up of this build as part of Community Challenge #23. Click here to see the full details]

Over the last year or so my in-laws decked out their garage as an open-air area to have guests, they call it their “corona lounge”. I carved the background and border on my new Pro, the letters/statue/tree are 3d printed and sit in shallow pockets for alignment.

36 Likes

That sign is very nice. Good looking. The word Lounge looks like a gradiant. Did you air brush ?

2 Likes

Still rather new to cnc and have had my nomad3 under a week but happy so far. This was a test of some jarrah, local very hard wood, 1860Ibf/8270N. It’s distinctive colour and weight makes it easy to spot from my Dads scrap wood pile I’ve been raiding.

20 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing,
What bit did you use for Finishing?