What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

For those who are curious, the original design was popular enough that Woodpeckers made it a perpetual tool:

I have a tiny corner easing plane/tool which I bought from Woodcraft ages ago, which works well enough so long as one is careful of grain direction:

and before that, Stanley made a line of simple tools which Veritas has re-created:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/32682-veritas-cornering-tool-set

and there was of course the venerable:

(which has unfortunately, been discontinued)

and there are traditional Chinese/Japanese/Korean planes for this task:

(still regretting not asking the craftsman I would see working on things when I was in Korea where they were getting their traditional tools — I have since managed to put together a modest set of chisels — probably it was too late even then)

or, one can pretty easily make a fence/shoe for using a block plane for this task, or just free-hand it. Making such a shoe for my Bridge City Tools HP-8X is on my to-do list:

though what I really want is the HP-6FX:

which has a fence for this purpose.

4 Likes

This week’s project. Vintage Harley Davidson Sign Replica.
I started out with a Photo

I then converted it to Vectors. Lots of work went into this part. Yes, I did an Edge Trace but the photo has some goobers in it so I had to adjust.

Converted it into Vectric.

Carved it all out on my Shapeoko 3 XL.

BOOM.

23 Likes

I am not going to lie, after I saw this I pulled the Trigger on one…
April 2023 ETA… Yeehaw!!!

3 Likes

Nice sign. That sign cries out for epoxy fill. My friend that has passed away had a Screaming Eagle. That was a great bike. However some call Harley Davidson’s Hardley Able. Varrrrroooom.

He came over to the house in Kingwood and it was a suburban neighbo hood. When he and his wife got ready to leave he turned on the Harley and kept revving it up. I finally told him I had neighbors that were not as appreciative of the sound as he was. Harley riders love to rev up the engines at stop lights. It is an iconic sound.

2 Likes

LOL. In the old days prior to EFI, I couldn’t get my Harley’s to idle. They are very cold heart’ed when you first fire them up. Today, push the button and go.

2 Likes

I totally agree. An Epoxy Fill is in order.

tested some 1/4" single flute toolpaths on this piece of scrap aluminum I had kicking about.

facing recipe: 1016mm/min | 0.2m DOC | 2.5mm WOC | 22k RPM on my Nomad 3

the helix ramp for those holes sounded pretty terrible, (not using the same recipe for facing dont do that, it will probably be awful) but left a good surface finish in the end. in all honesty, I probably will just switch to a 1/8" endmill in the future for operations like that anyways.

this will end up being an ashtray for my father-in-law who enjoys cigars. probably save it for a christmas present or birthday present or something.

8 Likes

Our SO4 Pro at work is cranking out scientific experiment components and medical equipment replacement parts. This mix of a SO4 Pro cut HDPE plate and PETG 3D printed parts is saving the cancer center a ton of money.

In the picture with multiple parts is the broken fiberglass part we replicated for replacement.

24 Likes

I made a prototype to sell to a cigar store in Nacgodoches. I used a big hunk of oak. The cigar stand has a place for a nice whiskey glass. A half pipe to put your new cigar and an ash tray and a place to lay a burning cigar. Maybe your father inlaw would like some thing like this. The ritual of sitting down pouring an adult beverage and smoke a cigar is a great one. I know it is bad for you but nobody gets out alive in the end. Enjoy the ride.

I modeled the half pipes in Carbide Create Pro. I need to go back and refine the tool path. I have enough to make 4 of these out of thick cherry. I just need to get to it. I guess I am lucky that I have more ideas than time.

Edit: In the top picture the black square are ice cube trays to make the skulls to put in your adult beverage.

12 Likes

thats super cool! i love the combination of CNC and 3D printed parts.

2 Likes

thats super cool!

whats even more funny is my FIL is a respiratory therapist. lol.

2 Likes

ive just realized that i use the phrase “thats super cool!” quite often.

excuse me while i ponder this in a moment of self-reflection…

5 Likes

We all have speech patterns we use over and over. Humans are repetative by nature. So super cool you use what you think. That phrase shows me you are upbeat in nature
Keep it up. The glass should always be half full.

6 Likes

I cut a box for a Henry Survival Rifle with the HDM and Jtech 24w. Still needs finished and foam inserts after glue dries

14 Likes

gdon_2003;
How much do you expect to sell those to at the pipe/cigar shop??

Cut 8 of these out with the HDM for a large enclosure I am working on. Ready for tab removal and polishing.

22 Likes

Would you share your file. I have one and need a case. Looks quite thick are you storing ammo inside. Is the gun assembled or disassembled? Do you have a scope on it?

It’s not mine but rather my father’s. I used .125" Eucaboard. The box was generated online and I did the art. I’ll post the dxf later tonight.

1 Like

As always, terrific work. I love the enclosures also. Could you ballpark how much you have in parts for your HDM enclosure? I built a similar style out of .750" MDF and plexiglass and ended up costing around $600.

10 Likes

Your enclosure is amazing and at a fraction of the cost of 8020. Very nice work! One of the nicest I have seen. No feeling like having your own little house for your beloved machine haha, for me anyway…

My HDM enclosure was built post pandemic so prices went way up. I would estimate around 7,500 total cost just for extrusion, hardware and panels. For an example I added side doors as an after thought, to be able to maintenance the ball screws and rails easier. Cost was over 1700 with extrusion and fasteners and hinges not including the panels.
A lot of other add on’s like the Surface pro tablet, lighting, casters, 3d parts and trim, 18 gauge brushed stainless sheet for the deck, SMW spoilboard etc. bring it way over 10k not including the machine…

3 Likes