What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Amazing work on yours and thanks for the kind words. I’d like to redo mine eventually with lessons learned during the build and since but I’m pleased with it.

2 Likes

Henry Gun Box.dxf (2.6 MB)

Thanks for the file. The inside corners are going to be round. Did you use a chisel to square them up or was there enough room to assemble. I made a toolpath with 1/16" bit so the round will be small. I assume the blue line is the cut off line to remove the top of the box from the bottom?

What application did you generate the dxf file with?

I just bought a used JTech 7W laser and will try the Henry Logo with that.

It is laser cut so no worries for me about inside corners. I used one of the online box creators to make the box then edited in vcarve pro.

1 Like

PXL_20230205_225828444-removebg-preview~2
Waiting for the paint to dry before putting on some finish, what would be the best thing to put over this as a good finish that doesn’t change color or anything

5 Likes

Since you have multi levels I would use spray poly acrylic from Minwax. There are other brands. Just do light coats. The Minwax dries quickly and you can put multiple coats on in a day. Just dont spray too much at once or it will run and pool. Spray in one direction on coat 1, then the opposite direction on coat 2. If it required coat 3 and 4 do those from the ends. Just do light coats and I use a 3m white finishing pad to remove dust nibs between each coat.

1 Like

wasnt today, but the other day, finished off this ashtray. its not perfect, but this piece of aluminum was upcycled from a block destined for the recycling, and i was able to do some learning and toolpath testing, so ill call it a win.

also one of my tiger claws (whoops)

9 Likes

and last night, cut out this table-top bracket.

(still waiting on the glass top)

6 Likes

Thank you sir. much appreciated that’s what I was thinking of getting but don’t have a sprayer so I was seeing if their were different options before I bought the sprayer

I was not clear. I have an Earlex 5000 HVLP sprayer. I seldom use it unless it is a big enough project. The reason is it takes longer to clean the sprayer up than the project takes to spray. I was thinking of the rattle can type of spray. That is what I was referring to about light coats from different angles.

No doubt a sprayer is great but it takes a long time to clean it up after spraying so for small projects I will use rattle can spray but for most projects I just use wipe on polyurethane. I primarily use the oil version from Minwax. I always seal the project with Zinsser Universal Sanding Sealer and then apply the wipe on poly. However shellac and oil poly turn your project slightly yellow. To me it warms up the color range and I like that. But the polyacrylic water based will go on clear and not change your color balance of your project.

1 Like

My father-in-law past away this last year. He was a very crafty man and never threw anything away. He also collected everything everyone else threw away. My wife is a lot like her father. She is a very crafty woman ,and just like her father she save’s everything and always comes up with an idea of when and where to use these saved items. Their biggest challenge was and is finding time to make it all happen. While cleaning out her father’s shop, my wife found an old metal sit stool with a scrap piece of lumber for a seat, and attached to that was an electric chain saw sharpener. She removed all that and cleaned up the metal stool part, and then painted it. She then wanted a round seat made for it so she could use it in her workshop. Unfortunately the scrap lumber already attached to it, was not big enough to make the round seat out of. I had strict orders not to discard the old scrap wood seat after making the new round one. A few months later my wife asked if I still had that old scrap piece of lumber from her dad’s stool because she had an idea of what she would like to have made from it. She asked for a heart dish, I added the text without her knowing. Thankfully she liked the finished product.

16 Likes

Shellac is what I like to use.
I prefer to use spray cans.

3 Likes

Protoyping something.
1mm contour

3 Likes

Is that nylon? It looks suspiciously like a gear.

1 Like

Wow how did you get the part to move and the spindle to stay stationary? :sunglasses:

4 Likes

This is machine grade ABS. Cuts like cold butter. It’s something similar to a gear, but with a twist.

1 Like

I took some time to 3d print a webcam mount.

It was a pain to wire it through the drag chain and out the back of the machine, but it ended up looking pretty clean.

I like to use it to monitor the machine while I’m at my desk, so I can see if something breaks while I’m doing something else.

NOMAD GANG REPRESENT!

6 Likes

What size/type of bit are you using for that? What’s the durability like?

It’s a 1mm x 12mm ball mill from OSG.

Technically it’s a burr for use in the dental field but I’m sure it can handle full WOC in plastic at 3000 mm/min, 12000 rpm. I’m low on cash so I’m babying it. It can handle some metals too.

That’s amazing. I had no idea there were bits that small. 1/32" cutting, on a 1/8" shank. That would be so much fun to play with. How are your tolerances? Does it run-out much?