What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

Turned out great! What tapered end mill did you use? I was looking at doing a smaller scale project like this and needed to find a similar one.

@hkyswim
I was using CMT taperd endmil 152.060.082
This was pointiest round nose endmill what i had

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like you have just enough room to add a drilling setup to the left of your mod vise if you rotate the stock you will drill 90 degrees.

I did a draft for a football variant on my hockey cribbage board. I realized after carving that the name in the end zone is facing the wrong way.I also think I am going to offer a variant where the logo is smaller and the lines cover more of the center. I felt like fans would want the logos larger but I think it is definitely missing something having less lines covering the center area.

11 Likes

Nice. I went yesterday and bought a big chunk (12" x 60" X 1") maple for some edge banding for a murphy bed I am going to build for my second bedroom. I got the maple and 2 pieces of 1/4" maple plywood and two 2" X 24" turning blanks and it was $200.00. The price of fun just keeps going up.

Are you going to paint the Viking or epoxy fill?

Thanks. No kidding about the price keeping going up. Every time I go to the lumber yard I am surprised by the price.

For this one I won’t likely do anything except polyurethane. That is what I generally finish with. I keep saying I will try epoxy but just can never bring myself to make the purchase. I have done a few with paint that have turned out really well but I don’t enjoy doing it. If I do end up doing color on these it likely would be paint since it is easier to get and I don’t need to try and color match the epoxy each time I need to do one. I also find here that the cost of my cribbage boards is near the top of what people are willing to pay. Adding paint or epoxy to the mix will just increase the cost and I don’t think they will sell as well.

I did paint these euchre score boards recently and think they turned out pretty nice but they are a lot cheaper than the cribbage boards.

7 Likes

I work for a non-profit that provides early intervention services for infants and toddlers, as well as day services and vocational services for adults (individuals who may experience cognitive or motoric differences/disability due to conditions like Down’s Syndrome, cerebral palsy, autism, etc.). This project was my first on the Shapeoko 5 Pro, a sensory board for a ~30 month old toddler who has extraordinary sensory needs. It will be laid flat on the ground.

37 Likes

As a Vikings fan myself I understand not being used to looking at the endzones.

I suppose that joke would’ve worked better before Justin Jefferson…

3 Likes

28 Likes

My threaded table was square but still needed to be trammed in and even when shimmed was still a few thou high in some spots, I ended up tramming it then loctiting it down and decking it.

im actually pretty certain that it was my error in zero because the lip i had was consistent along the length of my part, rather than angled.

Thanks for the advice everyone. This one came out much better.

25 Likes

First sign on the CNC 16x24. 45/90 V bit for the small letters and pocket cut for the large Script

17 Likes

I’m finding CC a bit lacking for aligning text within shapes. What CAD program do you use?

If this is in response to my sign, I used Fusion 360. It’s extremely versatile but has a learning curve.

I have not run into a problem, does it resemble your drawing? It appears Handcrafted and Guitars are not aligned, and the side-by-side space for the name is insufficient. Should be relatively the same as the top and lower space which should also be equal.

Ya, I did hit reply on your post, but it’s not been linking lately. My issue is trying to fit a few lines of text inside a defined shape, like a box, so that the text will auto-wrap inside the shape. I can play with hard returns to force something workable, but I’d like it to flow like a word processor does. Vectric has a similar weakness, so I’ve been scouting other CAD programs.

Tim, it might be the way the picture was taken. It was taken on an angle and I skewed it straight when I cropped it. I will double check, but I am pretty sure the top and bottom words are centered. The Ensalaco is centered based bottom of the E and on the tail at the end of the word. Both are about .500” from the boarder. It does look offset in that short of a board. Not sure how to have better centered it without the tail being closer to edge then the E.

A quick measurement and each line is centered between the border. (Same measurement from the start of the word to the edge as the end of the word to the edge). I can see in the picture that the boarder is skewed / \ and therefore the perceived balance is off.