What do you want from Carbide Create in 2020

I would really like to see a rest machining capability. If I’m machining a large pocket, I want to be able to use a large surfacing/facing end mill and then do the same operation with a smaller end mill to clean up corners and other tight spaces without the smaller end mill having to machine a lot of air by going over the entire pocket again.

The tool library doesn’t seem to allow me to enter a number of flutes or flute length when creating new tools. It also rounds my diameter down when I added my 1/32 inch end mill. It won’t allow enough digits to enter .03125 and when I enter .0312, it rounds it to .031.
It would be great to be able to import tool libraries from other programs.

Also, allow us to export design as an .iges file.

2 Likes

I imagine this has already been asked for, but there are a lot of replies in this thread and I may have missed it.

I would like to see functionality added to V-carve toolpaths similar to what is done in the Vectric applications. This would mean you could select an area wider than your V cutter and also set a maximum depth. You would have the ability to choose a second tool to cut the flat depth if you wished.

I think this would alleviate a lot of problems people have when learning V-carving and would avoid the need to create offset paths just to make V-carving work the way you would expect.

2 Likes

Coming in the next few days (pending successful testing)

If it works well then rest pocketing shares a lot of code so that should be an easy addition as well.

CC Simulation proof that it does exist:

9 Likes

this is awesome. Really looking forward to it

I think the new tool library is a bit more complicated than it should be.
You only have one tool of specific type, dimensions, etc…

So I think you should reverse the way it’s done now and start with the tool as the main tree items instead of the material.

Then under that tool you can add the specific materials and the feeds and speeds you want for that material.

Why have to add the tool size, type, etc… to every material, instead, add the material and the settings you want to each tool. It would save a lot of adding the same tool.

For tool Information I would like to see the
Description Field Added - I thought the older version did have this.
Product Link Field Added - I thought the older version did have this.

I don’t know how much of the Geometry Carbide Create uses but it did have in past version much more information like flute length, shaft diameter, overall length. Some of that may just be for information but I would like the ability to put it in. Require fields should probably be indicated.

On the Feeds and Speeds I’m not sure why there is a 2D and 3D section. Does Carbide Create only use the 2D feed and speed settings unless you have and use the 3D modelling in Carbide Create?

The 2D cutting doesn’t use Stepover and Finish Allowance?

Very Confused on the V-Carve depth of cut. You used to be able to specify (older versions) but now it seems that the depth of cut comes from what is set in the tool Library. And since you can’t alter the default pre-installed tools you will have to copy that tool and change the depth of cut to change how deep it goes.

Is that correct?
I really can’t tell in the simulation.

Materials - Should be able to add your own materials or have like 5 custom ones you can rename. Goes along with the Tool Library, 1 specific tool, many materials, feeds and speeds and cutting depth, etc…

It would also be nice if we could specify the folder to be installed in for beta or even different versions of the software. Maybe ask if it sees a version is already installed.

Also if the Icon it makes on the desktop has the build number like Build 454 so it’s easy to see if you have the latest version or which version you want to run.

Make the Name and version information in the bottom left of the window more readable, The light grey is hard for me to read. Remember, there are old people using this too.

Also, a column line down the window since you can’t drag anything under the Design / Toolpath column anyway or a different shade of background Color. Some new people might wonder why their design is not fully showing up because part of it is behind that column.

That’s all I can think of now.

Thanks,

Jeffery

2 Likes

Ok- You can try out 457 with the “Advanced VCarve” at:

https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/beta/

The name of the toolpath and the UI are likely to change but it’s been stable in our testing today.

7 Likes

Something else that definitely needs a fix:
It seems impossible to machine multiple depths with separate operations. For example: If I create a pocket that’s 1/8” deep and then I try to V carve or make another pocket from my new depth (stock top - 1/8”), there is no good way to do it. I can do another 1/8” pocket by making the max depth 1/4” (first pocket depth plus new pocket depth) but then my machining time is doubled because I’m machining 1/8” of air first.

An easy fix would be to allow a negative number in starting depth so I can make the starting depth -.125 and then pocket down another .125 from there.

A proper fix would be to make the software recognize that all subsequent operations after a pocket op, that use components located inside the bounds of the previous pocket op, are now at a new starting depth instead of stock top.

You should try the new VCarve in 457

1 Like

running this through the paces a bit, I like it, just few minor nitpicks

• if I do this a few times, it remembers what depth I like, but it did not remember I like #302 over #301 :wink:
  • I like how, when the clearing bit is too large for some part of the design, it uses the v-cutter
  • … but it does seem to make simulation view take a really long time
  • there’s a bug in the vcarve path creation in text somehow, testcase attached below

testpattern2.c2d (609.3 KB)

2 Likes

I’m playing with it now. The advanced V carve is a really cool feature! I tried it on an SVG that I failed to V carve with fusion 360 because it’s too wide in one part. This feature solves that issue and makes it look really nice. I’ll be using that quite a bit.

2 Likes

The ability to see font styles with clicking each one.

1 Like

The ability to import multiple c2d files to the same project design in Carbide Create

2 Likes

i’d like to see a ruler for quicker looking at dimensions of things rather than having to keep changing the grid size and count squares

2 Likes

We fixed a couple of bugs that popped up from your file in 458:

I didn’t see the bug in the vcarve text so I’m wondering if it might have been a simulation bug. Was the toolpath in there for the 2D view?

1 Like

the toolpath view also lacked the specific paths… going to download 458 and test… stay tuned

458 2D view:

also new but in 458; cannot change the name of the toolpath (or depth) after it is created and then do edit

ok so something funky; toolpath looks fine with bit 301 from the main library, but not with a 302 from my own library, settings below: (settings not relevant, also same with 302 from the main library)

textfailcutter

What depth are you using?

EDIT: Just realized that I’m getting a different font than you. Can you select all the vectors and then do a boolean union to convert them to fixed polylines and then reupload?

1 Like

here: testpattern2a.c2d (1.3 MB)

cutting to 0.125" fwiw

(btw super minor quirk: draw small circle, select text and circle, click subtract. realize that you picked the wrong order so subtract went the wrong way. hit ctrl-Z … and the selection is now in opposite order, so can just hit subtract again to get the desired output. I suspect that the selection being changed in order after ctrl-Z is not intended but it was convenient)

Also, consider adding the ability to scroll through the different fonts by pressing the up or down arrow keys on the keyboard instead of selecting from the drop down list each time.

Give 459 a shot at:

Lots of edge cases to consider when you’re just the limit of changing from a traditional vcarve path to a small pocket.

2 Likes