What happened here? Second depth pass and the toolpath just went haywire

This was the only shape that had an issue. First depth pass was good, as you can see, a perfect oval. Second pass to final depth went awry but then got right back on track, just 2 inches to the left.

The next shape was perfect, so there’s no loose X or Y couplers or anything indicate slop.

I stopped, fixed the file, reran and the exact same thing happened in the exact same spot again. It’s baffling. How can the second pass go wrong when the first pass was perfect? No skipped steps, it just went straight diagonal.

Arch_and_Bases_v4.c2d (868 KB)

Barring any static discharge or communication interruption, you’re using a 1/4" down cut/compression bit at 130 IPM with a 3/8" DOC and slotting (cutting full width of cutter. Cutting a slot the same size as the cutter)
Pretty aggressive cut. Down cut bits push the chips back down into the slot. These machine just don’t have the power to hog out a lot of material like that. You should essentially follow a HSM (High Speed Machining) strategy. Smaller cuts, faster speeds.

If they would get the pocketing bug fixed (slot cutting instead of clearing the whole pocket at each level), You could cut a 0.300 slot as a pocket. I would still back off the DOC to 1/4" or less.

You are trying to make a slotting cut to a depth greater than the diameter of the tool:

How did you arrive at the feeds and speeds you used? See:

Where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

For an example of testing see: Feeds and Speeds: 150 IPM @ 1/4" DOC in Walnut

Trial and error on the speeds, usually I have zero problems with this speed and DOC aside from some heat generation on cheap chinese bits. I have a finishing pass set to clean up some of the chatter that occurs and it comes out beautiful.

I usually don’t have any problems with this type of cut, and have cut this file multiple times without issue, this being the first.

Unfortunately, I’m using this for my business and the time it takes for a third pass on everything is too long. Eventually I’ll need to get a more suitable machine and relegate the S5 to prototype work, so for now this works fine. I’ll be upgrading to the VFD soon to help out in the power department since a terribly dull bit burned out the Makita router a few months ago, but other than the early-adopter problems this machine has served me well. Just trying to figure out what went wrong.

Perhaps you have been working just below the machine’s threshold. A worn tool, a denser section in the wood threw it over the limit. ??? It does seem like a pretty aggressive cut with that type of tool.

Ideally, I would want a 2 pass cut on each level that starts away from the finished side & climb cuts.
Extra points if it uses no retracts, just direct ramps to the next level, and only the last level cuts right to the nominal dimension, with previous levels leaving a couple thou so that last pass leaves a nearly perfect wall.

1 Like

Oh, now that’s an even better option. My second toolpath for finishing would do that. I’d probably need more sophisticated software I think to make them all a single toolpath. Right now my roughing tool radius is set to ~0.05" than normal in CC. Have to retract and re-measure for the finishing tool.

Not a problem with aggressive cuts, a problem with (I assume) X movement. Things look like they were fine until X stopped in the lower right, then it began cutting a deep slot across your material because the toolpath was no longer aligned with the previous cut. Did your vacuum attachment finally hit the clamp to the right of your picture as the toolpath got deeper?

I downloaded your file: impressive layout. Not much waste.

Thanks! The bottom right of the 4x4 is the bane of my existence. I’ve hit the bitsetter too many times so now I draw a radius around the bottom right that I don’t design anything inside of. I’m pretty sure the dust boot wasn’t that close to the surface to hit the clamp, and it wouldn’t explain the complete opposite direction movement, at least I think. It would have just moved upwards. I’ll check the dust boot depth later today.

movement

The dust boot (and therefore the bit) has to move left as it moves up. Maybe?

Part of the problem on the left of your picture is due to slotting. The path was already off but it had become a full depth cut in uncut material, and tool torque took the bit wherever it wanted to go.

1 Like

You’re right, this would make sense as to why the finishing pass took the same exact route too.