Winston shows us his darkside

After last weeks awesome session with Sara we have another lined up. This time to look at dual sided machining and pretending you have a 4th/5th.

@wmoy will nail down the principles and talk simple 2-sided machining. At the same time we’re looking at taking any community questions/project ideas.

The usual time and place THIS FRIDAY 1:30 PM PST

6 Likes

I always wanted to do chess pieces; can Winston extend his topic to 4 sided machining? I’d love to learn how to do that.

I will note that we had a prototype 4-sided frame posted ages ago:

It’s looking like adding hardware to my coopered box:

might require something like that.

Are these sessions recorded and available on You Tube or somewhere else? I usually can’t make the live show but I’d still like to see them

1 Like

I haven’t attempted much 2 sided machining beyond cutting and engraving box tops (if that even counts). Looking forward to getting a run down on proper 2 sided machining from Winston!
@ctdodge if you click on the link, YouTube will give you the option to “set a reminder” and they are all posted to the YouTube channel after the session is over for viewing later.

1 Like

They are on a playlist:

1 Like

I agree! I’ve been thinking that using the machine bed for the z axis would help with the problem of the material not being exactly square. As long as you overestimated the top of the material it should help maintain a consistent coordinate system.

A simple Fusion 360 example showing how to create the tool paths would be incredibly useful. If it was a symmetric piece you could create a single gcode file and run it for each side.

I have been seeing alot of CC on the videos lately and I’m wondering if @wmoy can shift some of the focus back towards some Fusion 360. There are a lot of powerful tool paths and strategies on there but not all are equally well suited for our machines, or at least require tweaking.
It would be nice to hear from someone with experience. What paths/ techniques work well with the shapeoko and nomad, what’s good practice, what should you avoid with these types of machines? The video with the brass iron is an excellent example. I see other winston videos where one part has 15 tool paths and he does a quick summary of what they are. It would be cool to take a deep dive into how they’re done and why.
This might help an intimidating cad/cam package be less scary to beginners. Even people like me that use it all the time can always stand to learn more!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.