X rail LED strip mod

I had been wanting to stick a strip of LEDs under the X rail for sometime, finally did it over the week-end

I picked up the 24V on the controller board, and for such a small length of LED strip I guess the extra power consumption won’t hurt the power supply. Nothing fancy, but I like the added light already, time will tell if this is actually useful or not.

10 Likes

Shapeoko bling??? :wink:

Exactly! After watercooling for the spindle, it was only a matter of time before I added LEDs :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had a roll of white LEDs sitting in my cupboard for some time now… How do you find it on the bottom of the gantry? That’s where I was planning to put it

@Julien Are you just using the adhesive on the strip? I’d be worried it will come unglued and create a spectacular mess when an endmill gets a hold of it.

I actually did the same on my XXL with a kit that the guy from EVGuide sent me. It’s an excellent upgrade, especially for my aging eyes. Now I wanna do the same on my laser!

Edit: forgot to mention, LEDs use very little energy. I doubt the power supply will care at all, and if it does it was borderline to begin with.

Dan

Could you see any issue in running it off the power from the inductive limit switches? or better to keep it external from them?

I forgot to mention that I used a “waterproof” LED strip, so that it is dust-proof.

@stutaylo :

1. yes that is where I put it, on the underside of the extrusion flush against the edge. It seemed to make the most sense to direct the light at the wasteboard, and there is a clear path there with nothing else in the way. The only difficulty is having a strip that can be cut to the “right” length to match the width of the gantry. Mine happened to be about right, it’s ~1/4" too long, so it has a little bend at one end.
  2. Maybe you could pull off running 5V power from the wire supplying the switches, but I’m not sure I would do it: there’s the matter of the amperage going in that small wire that is normally designed to carry milliamps only, but also I wouldn’t like to have a potential source of interference between the limit switch detection and something else drawing much more power on the same wire. On my standard-size SO3, the controller and its 24V pins are right there at the back of the gantry, so it’s convenient. On an XL or XXL I guess it would mean having one more wire go through the drag chains.

@DanoInTx : good to know you like that upgrade on yours. The other option I considered was adding lighting to the dust shoe only, but it’s a bit more difficult to do in a clean way.

@neilferreri : true, right after I put it there I started thinking that that double-sided tape was not going to hold it there forever, so I think I will be 3D-printing a few giant clips tonight, to secure it to the back of the gantry.

2 Likes

It’s like a new lease on life for the old eyes. I went so far as to superglue some inside my dust boot as well

3 Likes

I did mine the other week.
I have LED strip and back and in the middle aswell as the 2 sides.
Made an extension cable to do the front strip.

3 Likes

I love the “door” on your enclosure. Did you heat and bend the plastic?

Yes, I have hot air gun and folded plastic over a wooden straight edge.

It took a while to heat the plastic unto right temp as I was having to move gun backwards and forwards to get plastic hot enough.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.