A bunch of help here

I have two images that I would like to clean up. They are hand sketches of my son’s race car. There are extemporaneous lines the person put in that I would like to remove. When I go into node edit, there are hours of work to get the lines even.

I use Inkscape as a novice, not sure what to do or how to do it.

In CC I can clean up a bunch of the extra garbage, some of the lines I am unable to remove correctly using node edit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Don’t even know how to highlight areas I need help with.

The attached files are what I traced

Jason Front Ver 710.c2d (1.1 MB)
Jason Side ver 710.c2d (1.4 MB)

Those traces look awful. I would be tempted to just set my image as background & draw over it.
Or fix what you can, and draw in the rest rather than trying to edit the existing vectors.

Can you post one of the images? I’m curious if that’s the best trace you can get.

1 Like

I will try to get the original images. Or even have him get me some photos from the angles he wants

Jason Car Front

At the moment this is what I have

@Zman What you didn’t specify is your end goal with this pile of vectors. :smiley:

Some things are done better with photography, but there’s a niche for wood in there, too.

I can’t get any better vectors using Trace in CC. Perhaps Inkscape offers better tools?? But with the quality/nature of the images, I tend to think drawing it yourself may be the best solution.

There may be a way to apply filters, brightness, contrast, etc… to the image before tracing that could improve the result?? I’m an amateur Gimp user, and couldn’t come up with anything.

1 Like

Carbide Create will do better w/ a better original.

Scan instead of photograph, or clean up the image in a pixel editor before image tracing.

If need be, one can re-draw by placing the pixel images on a background layer, see:

or

or for Makita RT0701/0700 collet wrenches see:

1 Like

That said, adjusting the Threshold (which now works dynamically in v7) may help:

Attached

car_tracing.c2d (520 KB)

2 Likes

Thank you all for your help. I was wanting to clean it up enough for an image I could carve for a side lit sign.

I now have some avenues to checkout. I think I will have him get me some pictures of the angles he is wanting to try that also.

Again. Thank you for the help

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.