Community challenge #22: Kitchenware (closed)

Something I ran today.

Flip Side

As mentioned in earlier posts, my wife wanted a plate to place items on. I still need to sand and finish.

Would this be something to upload to Cut Rocket?

7 Likes

The above plate Project started out as, what I’d call a top for a stool, purchased at Menards for $7.00.

It was cheaper than a board length.

3 Likes

I am really not sure if this counts, but ill throw this in as a just in case it actually does. 30"x96" Folding table flooded in epoxy with 500 Leds imbedded that can do a variety of light shows and is music reactive all cut an a Pro XXL. I have videos of it but no clue on how to share them here, I dropped a google drive link, I guess lets see if that works. Even if this doesnt count, hope you enjoy the finished project!

7 Likes

My not quite finished project. I call it, “why buy a lathe when you can do a similar thing more slowly on a CNC”:

I really like the look of these type of wooden plate things, so that’s where this started. They will be useful on their own (plus the have magnets on the underside!), but they also will stack to form…not voltron, but a fruit serving tower?Some peanuts or something? Cheeses?

I’m still working on the third tier and the stand part, but it’s late and things took a bit longer than I expected.
It started with this piece of walnut that I’d had laying around from a different project. (well thats not true, it started with me liking those square plates with a slight concave feature that wood turners sometimes do. The walnut just happened to be long/wide/thick enough).

I ran the roughing on the makerspace shapeoko. I was able to cut it to size, just couldn’t run the parallel finishing pass:

I used some MDF to carve out an indent for the individual parts and ran a finish:

The model has a circle of flat before it slopes up. Knowing that I pocketed an area to hold the plate, with a raised portion:

Should match up with the plate:

Now to machine the backside:

Then do the whole process again. I worked on the smallest and medium sized one so far.

Fusion link: https://a360.co/3i2XOpq

If I had to do it all over again I think I’d make the plates a bit more bowl like, or maybe add a ridge.
The stands were designed to make use of these mahogany pucks I have laying around. I’m not the happiest with the design of the stand, but I couldn’t come up with anything better, so we work with the models we have.

Anyways, it’s a bit past my east coast bed time, love seeing all the projects and the contests are always neat to see the different takes on things!

11 Likes

I can’t get enough of waking up to additional last minute entries in the challenges :slight_smile:
Voting is now open, here.

2 Likes

Will have to follow up. I’ve been wanting to cut Damascus steel for some time…

1 Like

Blending two materials in such a gorgeous way is Pro!

The way you adapted your work holding to get the job done is on another level= nicely done!

jbc

1 Like