After a downright epic community challenge #3, something a bit different.
Challenge #4 is: make a decorative see-through panel
Here’s a random pinterest page to illustrate what I mean:
The rules for this fourth challenge are:
- it must be at least partially see-through/cut-through: a nice V-carved surface won’t do. The whole point is to face the challenges of making such a panel on a CNC:
- finding a compromise between intricacy/level of detail and solidity (yeah vines and flower patterns are great, but wait and see how quick those tiny parts break while milling, or after)
- finding a design that does not have too many “pointy” features (99% of panel designs seem to have been made for laser cutters, which do not have to care about using a round endmill…)
- optimizing cutting time (can’t be too aggressive when one needs to mill tiny features)
- getting clean edges on BOTH the top and the bottom (time to try some compression endmills maybe?)
- it must be milled on a Shapeoko or Nomad
- and by that I mean, no cheating by using a laser mounted on a Shapeoko
- tiny panels/tiles are cute, Nomad entries most welcome
- giant panels are great, over-the-top submissions expected from XXL owners
- submit your entry in this thread:
- post pics of the finished piece(s)
- include the associated design file(s) and tell us about the steps you followed to create it.
- you can post multiple entries if you want.
- you have ~
1015 days to submit your project, deadline is set to Feb 7th12th, midnight PST
- there will then be 7 days for voting.
- voting will be open to legit community members only, and the jury reserves the right to remove votes from “outsiders”, and will also break any tie.
- you have ~
The prize theme this month is: Gator & Sweepy !
- First place: one set of aluminium Gator Tooth clamps (I call them Ali-gator, ha-ha), one set of steel Gator Tooth clamps, and one Sweepy dust shoe:
- Second place: one set of aluminium Gator Tooth clamps and one Sweepy dust shoe:
- Jury’s prize: one set of aluminium Gator Tooth clamps
Our sponsor @Jorge will also sprinkle some C3D swag on top of those !
Have fun, share what you learned along the way, and who knows, this might even be the opportunity to make something that is allowed to STAY in the living room, for a change