Formal name for securing wiring with multiple zip ties?

Is there a formal name for this sort of arrangement?

(yes, it’s profligate to use 7 zip ties where one would do, but I’m going to be redoing my wiring presently and want it to look as nice as possible)

3 Likes

Think you are looking for wire comb

7 Likes

If only there was some sort of machine that could make things like this for you. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

wire loom? at least for spark plugs

easy machine or 3d print with a single zip tie project.
good option for your parametric open source designs (dia, quantity, row variables)

2 Likes

+1 for “comb”. I’ve always called them a “cable comb”. I used to frequently print versions that my students design for their game controllers. No more cables though.

3 Likes

Found a video on it:

Trying to do something which doesn’t require the machine since I’m going to be rewiring mine presently and want an approach which a person could do when building the machine.

1 Like

Cable dressing, cable loom, or if you are old school and do it with wax string - cable lacing.

3 Likes

What PhilG said:

Check this article out

or, this how-to

3 Likes

Yeah, Tim Foreman did that on a couple of his machines, and I can still remember being mesmerized inspecting a wiring harness under an exposed cover when I was very young at the Smithsonian on I think one of the Mercury capsules.

1 Like

Okay, I tidied up my wiring as best I could — some pictures:

A wiring extension connector and the Z-axis homing switch connector just fit into the lower part of the drag chain bracket — I opened up the drag chain and tucked the motor wires into it rather than coil it:

Then everything can be neatly zip-tied in place.

and the zip tie wire loom idea works well for cable management — I also left the ones in-between cables long in some places, tucking them into drag chains, or zip-tieing at the other end for strain relief:

6 Likes

Will try to do the same with connectors :+1:t3:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi WillAdams

I like the way that looks and I want to do that. Please forgive me but can you do two more things for me? Can you send me a short blurb on how each zip tie is feeding into the other zip tie, and can you send me a picture that includes your connectors so I can see the whole arrangement?

One zip tie around the entire group. The other zip ties go around the first, between each cable.

7 Likes