Half a Cylinder

Hello,
I am trying to carve half a cylinder on a separate stock and when i put them together it will become one full cylinder. Issue for me is whether i use ball shaped or not i can not come up with the end product… i added flat on the stock when i designed, and subtracted the part i want with the Round future, started went on with the 3d rough and finish to come up with the project. Unfortunatelly all i see in the simulation is sqaure cut… any idea how to correct that?

Thank you
Esayas Abebe

You would need to have Carbide Create Pro for this, unless you want to set up the toolpaths and geometry as shown at:

Or, you could use a 3rd party tool for 3D modeling, make an STL, and then import that:

If you’ll let us know the dimensions you need we can walk through this with you.

What are the dimensions and end use requirements of the cylinder.
A couple thoughts

1. Can you machine your cylinder on end and have the seam running the circumference rather than the height? That is segment in height rather than split the round.(stacking disks)
  2. Does it need to be a smooth cylinder or would a grooved texture work.

John

1 Like

Hi John, thank you for reaching out, let me answer your questions in order and i will send you later what i wanted to do

1. If i understand the question correctly, stacking is not going to work
  2. It needs to be as smooth as possible…
    I will post the design later when get home, may be that will explain better …

Thank you

It would be best if you could share the file. Next best would be some detailed dimensions.

You have to make the workpiece larger than your actual workpiece to model flat ended cylinders.
You also need to make the model taller/thicker than your actual workpiece so the tool can cut all the way to the bottom.

I assume you want something like this…

Share you part or dimensions & we’ll show you how to model & machine it. :wink:

1 Like

Hello,
I appreciate all your help, thank you. this is what I wanted to do, I attached a horrible drawing using paint, I hope that will give more details. I have CC Pro and I try to use the Add Shape option under Model but it just kept cutting it all the way down instead of cutting it just the way I wanted. Please forgive me if I have not explained it better…Thank you
USB MOLD.c2d (60 KB)

First, model the stock:

Then select the geometry and subtract it:

Note that you will need to increase the Stock area and put the geometry w/in that and then extend the subtracting geometry beyond the edge of the stock.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.