Stock to Leave is ignoring tabs

Upgraded to CC 777 Pro and I just went through the process of changing over all my “roughing” tools (diameter + .05") to now use the Stock to Leave feature instead so I don’t need to change tools mid-job to “switch” to my finishing cutter. I started cutting and I guess I didn’t realize that the simulation didn’t show the tabs, and alas using the Stock to Leave feature completely removes the tabs. I double checked and changed the Stock to Leave back to 0" and the tabs showed back up.

Am I doing something wrong or does that feature not support tabs for contour cuts? Super frustrated right now when I upgrade to a new version of CC, I have never had a seamless upgrade.

I’m using a Mac on Sonoma 14.5 FWIW.

I wasn’t able to replicate this:

Upload your file?

@ben2ek Any chance you’re using Tiling? If so, it could be related to this bug I reported last week?

@WillAdams here’s the file and screenshots. In this file I disabled the finishing path, but if you re-enable them you see the tabs slightly appear, as expected. The Roughing tool paths cut right through the tabs, hence them not showing on simulation. If you change the stock to leave back to 0" on the Roughing toolpaths the tabs re-appear.

@GJM no tiling usage on this one.

Book_Shelf_v3 copy.c2d (840 KB)

Definitely ignoring the tabs (V777). Change the Stock to Leave to 0.012 or less & it works.
Change to 0.0121 or a little more, it gets some of the tabs but not all. ???

Yeah, I see that as well. For my purposes 0.025" was the right STL to counteract my non-perfect tramming. Less than that still left visible marks on the edges.

• 0.0120 shows all of them
  • 0.0121 removes some of the tabs
  • 0.0124 removes almost all of them
  • 0.0126 removes all of them - at least in my file
  • 0.1000 as shown in Will’s screenshot doesn’t show tabs on my file

Note that this file has some issues: cuts out interior contours before the exterior, and used slots to cut through 3/4" thick material as noted below.

There is also a potential concern with the "Bookshelf Side Pocket(s):

If cut out with a round tool, will the shelves be rounded along their edges to match the radius of the tool used? Or the corners manually squared up with a chisel? If not, then dogbones should be added.

It is also trying to cut 3/4" deep as a slot — the usual practice is to offset and cut as a pocket down to tab height.

Will thanks for the concern but I’ve taken all of them into account with the matching shelf pieces - they get a 1/8” roundover to fit nicely into the shelf slots. I’ve cut this particular file a dozen times without issue.

Pocketing before exterior cuts he never presented a problem for me and I’m not sure why it’s recommended to do the opposite. I greatly prefer to cut the tabbed contours last incase on of them breaks. The Marisela is significantly more rigid when pocketing first.

I see you mentioning slotting as a problem but I fail to see how in the world you get around that. Even if I “add geometry” you still need to cut through the whole board and I’m not about to add 3 more whole passes around each piece. My bits come out warm to the touch at 0.27” DOC.

You didn’t, however, address the problem at hand - the disappearing tabs.

It’s the interior contour before the exterior contour I was concerned about.

For adding geometry, where possible avoid slotting and add geometry and cut as a pocket

and/or

and consider leaving a roughing clearance and taking a finishing pass.

Yes, there seems to be a problem with large values for “Stock to leave” — I’ll put in a note on that and we’ll see what is decided.

Interior roughing is done right after exterior roughing, then both get a finishing pass. There has never been an issue with this.

Roughing clearance is literally what stock to leave is for (or am I mistaken here?) and what I’m posting about. What are you trying to suggest? I have both roughing and finishing passes in that file.

My habit is to offset geometry so as to accomplish what this feature does.

That said, a work-around would be to have two separate Toolpaths — one with the offset which cuts down to tab height, the other w/o the offset which cuts from there down to the stock bottom.

1 Like