What did you cut on your Shapeoko/ Nomad today?

No need to buy the jig. Maybe 5 min to design, 1 min cut.

11 Likes

I did the same thing a couple days ago. The template that comes with those hinges makes it easy to draw up.

5 Likes

They make a jig for that? I always just use a Forstner bit to drill a hole. I guess people really will buy anything.

2 Likes

@NathanS21

Perhaps some are not as talented as you and still want to be able to build cabinets with this style hinge and need the jig to be successful.

1 Like

I’ve resumed a long-dormant model railroad project (a lot of life has happened in the meantime) and machined some track turnout bases as I first detailed here. Different Nomad than then but still excellent results. I cribbed my old machining parameters (in fact, dropped new DXF’s into my old SheetCam programs).

These are N scale (1:160) and the regular turnouts are 1:7 ratio whereas the old ones were 1:9 ratio (more gradual departure) and the wye is 1:3.5 (effectively 1:7 in each direction from straight).

9 Likes

Unless I’ve completely misunderstood what Ed and Mark were doing the hinge is just a single hole. I want to say 1 3/8th inch, it something in Metric, but I couldn’t find any metric bits locally. A drill press and a ruler to mark the center point is all it needs. If it’s something more than that my apologies.

Well…I love mine:


$27.00 at Acme - including the Forstner bit with the stop collar.
Works great. Takes about 6 seconds a hole and has alignment, spacing (You can set the distance from the edge of the door), holes for the screws and everything you need. There’s almost no setup and if you’re hogging out the holes for a cabinet’s worth of hinges, this is the easiest solution out there for repeatability at this price-point.

7 Likes

I have the same jig, time is money. And knowing that it will be done right everytime is good. For everything else, there is mastercard.

4 Likes

I have the Rockler one for making the holes for European hinges. One of the first holes I drilled I came almost all the way through. It was just a cabinet door for the shop so the hole is still showing. It is a reminder to NOT DO THAT. Live and learn.

2 Likes

I own that same Kreg jig and without a doubt, it is a quick way to get those holes made, especially when you have a bunch of cabinet doors to hang.

My son-in-law also like it. In fact, he likes it so much he took it home with him last fall and I haven’t seen it since.

3 Likes

Those sons-in-law are real jerks some times! :rofl:

@NathanS21

Noe taken, but I can’t speak for other folks who might? Yes just a few tools that allot of folks may not have or be able to afford, such as a drill press you mention. It’s also hard to convey the tone of a comment in black and white print on the internet. I’m fortunate to have a small drill press and the bits to do exactly what you say. I also purchased the Kreg jig for the hinges, it’s faster and consistently more accurate to us than using the ruler, center punching and drilling. Plus it aligned the screw holes.

Posted elsewhere, but thought I would post here for posterity’s sake (whatever that means).

  • 42" x 64" x 1 1/2" 15# HDU
  • 21 hours carve time @ 200 in/min feed, 100 in/min plunge
  • 3 tiles (not on pro, but basic) Carbide Create
  • 4x2 Shapeoko Pro 5.0 (this thing can do anything!)


25 Likes

You are getting a lot of mileage out of your texture you designed. I have seen your texture on several of your projects. Nice work.

2 Likes

I’ve been using slightly different ones each time. It’s fun to try to push it further and further.

1 Like

What material are you using?

@DCS

HDU. It’s the go to for most carved and painted signs these days. Cuts clean and like butter.

2 Likes

This weekends time consumption device. Learned to use Cody’s skinny Jenny. Nice.

29 Likes

@jtclose Nice work Jim! did you use the image to relief app to create the STL?

Yes, I used @xenith app. This is way too much fun, without much pre work.
The biggest issue I have is finding a good Z height to canvas size.
Seems 1 Z unit to 15 XY units is in the ball park.

3 Likes