Fixing path winding in Carbide Create

(William Adams) #1

Sometimes, when one imports a file and processes it in Carbide Create, a path may not be included when processing a V Carve:

The solution for this is to get that path to have the proper path direction — there are commands and scripts to fix this in software such as Freehand, Inkscape, and Adobe Illustrator, but one can finesse it in Carbide Create by:

• drawing a small bit of geometry w/in the bounds of the path
  • clicking on the path
  • control clicking on the added geometry (to add it to the selection)
  • clicking on Design

• clicking on Boolean Union
  • Toolpath
  • V Carve

If anyone has any issues w/ Carbide Create, please feel free to ask here, or at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to help!

Colour Code in Toolpath? V-carve is orange not red
Fonts optimized for vcarving
Colour Code in Toolpath? V-carve is orange not red
Help! Cutting monograms, nodes, problems!
(Daniel Loughmiller) #2

Hm any chance it would explain this?

(William Adams) #3

I don’t think so — but, please send the source file in to support@carbide3d.com or post it here and we’ll be glad to look into it.

(Daniel Loughmiller) #4

Appreciate it!
15 cells diameter theta maze2

(William Adams) #5

Could you please edit your post so as to make the SVG downloadable or e-mail it in to support@carbide3d.com? I can’t get anything but the PNG preview.

(Daniel Loughmiller) #6

Weird, firefox had no issue with right-click-save-image-as

(William Adams) #7

It’s been a while since I used Firefox — apparently there’s been another revamping of it, and it’s supposed to be much nicer to use (again) — guess I’ll have to try again.

(William Adams) #8

Okay, one way to go about this:

• open the SVG in Inkscape
  • select all
  • Path | Stroke to Path
  • re-save

maze

(Daniel Loughmiller) #9

That’s what I did, well the Illustrator equivalent, for my last batch. I was hoping to just get the paths. I wanted to try one using a ball nose bit just following the center line to get a rounded depression. I turned the stroke on otherwise the preview showed nothing. Just interesting that some of the open vectors come through and not others.

(William Adams) #10

If you get the width right, it should be possible to use a ball-end endmill and not have too much of a scallop at the bottom — perhaps a radiused endmill which would cut with a flat bottom?

(Daniel Loughmiller) #11

Hm yeah, seemed more ‘correct’ to just have a vector but I can see several ways to set it up to accomplish the same thing, adjusting the outline stroke to get the ‘inside’ the same size as the mill plus a tiny margin.

I do have a ‘bowl’ type bit but it’s a bit larger than what I want, may see what the local big box store has and if not hop on amazon.

Overall still curious that CC imports some of the vectors and not others but I can certainly work around this.