I thought I’d spin off the discussion about spindles from Vince’s thread to a new one, to keep things clean.
Basically, if we want to upgrade the Nomad’s spindle, what should we do?
The options I know of so far are (in rough order from easiest to hardest):
- Do what @TonyDangerCoiro did: Replace the BLDC motor (e.g. these, suggested by @gmack), keep the old spindle
- Pros: Cheap?, very easy
- Cons: Don’t know what the old spindle is capable of, limited to the same small endmills, noise?
- Do what @TonyDangerCoiro did: Replace the BLDC motor and spindle
- Pros: Keeps a similar design and a spindle made for milling, should be quieter
- Cons: More expensive?
- Do what @Vince.Fab (and I think @CthulhuLabs) did: Replace the spindle with a router.
- Pros: Cheap, high MRR, bigger endmills? advanged control through ODrive or VESC
- Cons: Loud? Runout? Long-term reliability? Requires carriage changes?
- Replace it with an AC spindle and VFD (i.e. what the bigger mills use)
- Pros: Made for milling, maybe higher RPMs?
- Cons: Expensive? Loud? More complicated?
Also adding @LiamN since you were on the other thread.