Recommended reading or tutorial on how to use 3D in CC?

The “Learn Carbide Create” tutorials have been great, but they stop short on how to use the 3D capabilities - there is a short video that shows what ‘can’ be done as more of a promo, but not really ‘how’ to do it like the other ones in the series.

I apologize if there is a giant sticky topic on this flashing in my face that I’ve repeatedly missed (highly possible!), but recommendations (and/or a piece of wasteboard to the side of the head) appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Like

We’ve done some tutorials on specific things and there is an overview at:

Some videos:

and various requested things:

and see:

2 Likes

It’s been brought up, but I haven’t seen an answer. I still have no idea what the “Multiply” & “Equal” modes are for. And why a 90° round doesn’t actually come up at 90°. An in depth explanation of all the features would be really cool.

Equal forces the 3D model to be the calculated height, w/o consideration of other things:

a round model can’t come up at a 90 degree angle — it would never arc over.

It could start at a tangent vector of 90°. This should, essentially put a round/fillet on the new portion, I would think. But again, no one has explained how the functions actually work so I really don’t know what to expect.

It makes a rounded model of the selected geometry using the specified angle, height limit setting, height, merge type, and base height.

What each does is obvious if one just makes a piece of geometry and tries each of the possible options.

Eh…that’s what I did…I still have a few open switches.

It might be obvious to you, because you understand what it’s supposed to do. I can’t measure anything, only look at the screen & guess. If I make a 45° round ADD on your shape & set the limit height to 50, it’s the same as if I set it to 20. And nothing looks like 45°, it’s maybe 30° at the ends.

I think I “see” (understand) now the Equal merge type. I set the height so the new shape would intersect the old shape, i.e. part is above & part below. It just replaces everything within it’s boundary with the new shape. So it’s essentially doing some subtract & some add. Or again, just cutting out it’s outside shape & filling the void with the new shape. Better way to explain it???

Let’s try this… Can you make a hemisphere? (That’s what I would expect from a 90° round on a circle, with the proper height)

I find it works to think of each parameter as a suggestion/guideline — the model will be the result of the interactions of all the guidelines.

Height Limit seems to trump everything else.

Folks seem to do best w/ the tools if they just use them — if you get stuck on a model and can’t achieve a particular effect, post here or send it in to support@carbide3d.com and we’ll sort it out w/ you.

1 Like

Thank you @WillAdams - I appreciate all of the links you provided. I have a fair amount of homework it seems.

I’m going to read this as “I don’t know” :wink: “We have to pass the bill to see what’s in it.”

I’m not trying to build anything specific. I’m trying to understand the software so I know best how to use it. Or better put… I’m trying to decide if I want to buy it. :wink: A lack of documentation & the absence of anyone who can explain it is a giant red flag for “NO!”
Don’t get me wrong. I have piles of undocumented software, so I’m just as guilty. I hate doing docs.
But I know how to use it all (well, most of it), because I wrote it, and it’s only for me.

OK, so back to Multiply. Doing a little googly research, it appears that these concepts are taken from image editors (Photoshop, Gimp, etc…).

Multiply mode multiplies the pixel values of the upper layer with those of the layer below it and then divides the result by 255 . The result is usually a darker image. If either layer is white, the resulting image is the same as the other layer (1 * I = I).

I read “darker” as it applies to CC as “taller”. Upper layer is the new shape. Layer below is the whole resulting shape from all of the previous layers. (they’ve all been merged).
I keep trying things, and as far as I can tell, Multiply doesn’t do anything. Is it broke?

@Tod1d Hey Tod. I did the document that Will is circulating out of the same frustration regarding a lack of documentation. I also happen to be a Photoshop user with over 10,000 images under my belt! It sounds like Photoshop Multiply…but it isn’t. You can see in my trial-and-error document, that there are holes where I could not deduce what was going on. I also could not differentiate between Max and Multiply in certain circumstances. My free trial ran out before I could finish the document - and I did not opt to buy in. It’s great that the document is deemed helpful to others, but it is in no way complete.

My request was to have whoever wrote the code, sit down for 2 hours and write what the different parameters do - just like the quote you have above. Mathematically, what’s going on? Then, people like us can trial and error with a good enough understanding to have an expectation of the results - and a basis to figure it out when that expectation is wrong.

I never said it before, but your “Bill” analogy has me thinking…I sort of get the feeling that this might be third party software? And that the developer is not available to write documentation - and that no one really knows the math behind it. I suppose that’s possible…but I want to doubt it. Certainly not for software people are spending money on.

I hope, someday, there will be appropriate documentation for the Modeling functions - such that they become predictable tools with a basis in empirical science rather than observation. I hope. I hope.

Thanks Gary. You mean this document?

I did read that the last time I tried to dig into 3D modeling, and still have the same conclusion as you,
“Multiply” doesn’t do anything. I’ve tried many things & can’t get it to change the model at all.

Now that Rest Milling is coming out in PRO, I have a renewed interest in buying it. But with the lack of documentation or at least someone knowledgeable that can explain it, I just can’t justify the purchase.
It’s cool, I like it. I’ve been using it at the machine to do a lot of simple things. It will even do some things simply that I can’t do in NX without jumping through hoops. And I would happily invest in the software to continue it’s development.
I would even accept a humble “I don’t know.”, or “It’s broke, don’t use it.” But this “It’s obvious…” “Figure it out yourself…” “Trial & error” BS just doesn’t cut it!!

Yes…that’s the one. I got only so far and then ran out of my free trial.

I wasn’t aware that the trial mode ran out. I’ve been playing with it quite a bit since January. :confused:

1 Like

I have stumbled my way around the Create pro and can at best make some sort of bowl.You know what would be a good training model, would be a tutorial on say the horse at the top of this topic.What I mean is a detailed step by step for dummies like me who could dissect it and build on it with one’s own design’s.
As soon as the new Mac book air is available I am into it as my 2009 I Mac has nearly stopped.

I haven’t cut a 3D project yet, but did watch the linked videos and have tried setting up a few different projects in CC, but the simulations have not been all that satisfactory, so I’ve been reluctant to commit to the time to see how it goes.

I have learned a lot (sometimes slowly, and sparky!) from just cutting, but the time to cut a 3D job certainly takes it up a notch.

I will rewatch the listed videos and projects and give it another go. For me, I need to better understand the design and tool path steps leading up to the cut. The ‘import a pic, set the floor clearance, cut and wow’ seems to skip a few things I should understand better.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.