Inlay mode for Carbide Create

We just uploaded a new release of Carbide Create, Build 750, that include a new Inlay mode for Advanced V-carve. Normally, we’d do more internal testing, but there are so many edge cases for this that we want to get it out in public now. Get it at Carbide Create Beta Downloads

This is available in both the Free and Pro version of CC. Please give it a shot and let us know how it works for you.

How to use it:

Create a pocket for your inlay using the normal Advanced V-carve toolpath. Pick a reasonable depth- maybe something like .2" or so.

For the inlay, create a copy of your vectors and mirror them horizontally or vertically and create some kind of border around them. (Bonus points for the first user to cut an inlay from a very expensive chunk of wood without flipping the vectors)

• Select that whole thing and create an Advanced V-carve toolpath with with the same depth.
  • Enable Inlay mode.
  • Enter a small Inlay gap, maybe .01" or so. This will offset the vectors to create that big a gap when the inlay is put into the pocket so you can tap it into place to create a tight fit… You cannot achieve the same thing by adjusting the V-carve depth, this modifies the geometry internally.

33 Likes

Thank you! I can’t wait to try it. Excellent feature!!!

3 Likes

@robgrz What do you mean by: “Create some kind of border around them”?

In order to carve around the letters/ whatever (i.e., the inlay part), you need a surrounding shape to indicate how far to carve away from the inlay. Usually just put a rectangle around the inlay, then CC will remove everything inside the rectangle except the actual inlay.

1 Like

Ah ah…the shape of the wood it’s getting carved from…of course. Thanks.

It might be helpful to some people to think of it as the border that creates the “backing” for the inlays, assuming there are multiple pieces. (Or that will just add confusion- we’ll get Kevin to make a video once it’s “done”)

2 Likes

If I understand correctly, it’s a pair of files:

The stock w/ the space in which the inlay will be placed, which is “just” an Advanced V carving set to a suitable depth:

and the mirrored inlay which has geometry added around it to facilitate it fitting:

3 Likes

Am I correct in assuming that the vector gets projected to the “Bottom Gap” distance above the max depth? (Rather than the Start Depth) So we can how use a starting depth of 0.0, and get multiple passes if the depth per cut is smaller than the max depth?

Then, we need two suitable pieces of stock, ideally which contrast:

and each file gets cut:

inlay example.c2d (88 KB)

inlay example — mirrored inlay.c2d (88 KB)

The start depth and depth per pass should function the same as they do in the normal Advanced V-carve toolpath.

2 Likes

Clamp:

Set zero:

Begin cutting:

Carbide Create estimate 37 minutes, Carbide Motion estimate 47 minutes, beginning at 7:12

Carbide Motion shows 33 minutes left at tool change at 7:26:

and one tool change and measurement later, we are back to cutting at 7:29:

and at 7:57 we are done (2 minutes earlier than the CM estimate, 8 minutes after the Carbide Create):

2 Likes

This is so cool! Can’t wait to try it out.

Hats off to the software team on this new feature.

2 Likes

I am very excited to try this as well. I had the same fitting problem that a lot of others had and then saw the post about start depth. I still have the base for my coaster just need to cut a new insert with this to see if it works.

Slight side trip: why do CC and CM disagree about the timing? Which one is typically right? Also, I am pretty sure when I cut my first few jobs CM (on raspberry PI) was showing me time to the next tool change and now it only shows total time remaining. Did I imagine that or is there a configuration setting for that somewhere?

1 Like

Then we repeat this process for the mirrored inlay:

Carbide Create 37 minutes, Motion 48 minutes, start time, 8:29:

and at 8:46, tool change to a #302.

1 Like

As @robgrz said create a box around your male inlay. I usually take the completed male inlay and cut out on a bandsaw or scroll saw the box around the male inlay. This makes it a little easier to glue the male plug in place on the female socket.

Cut finished at 9:10:

Next up is cutting the mirrored inlay free, cleaning the parts up, gluing them, clamping them up to set up then planing the inlay flush.

4 Likes