Vectric tutorial overview

Vectric makes a line of popular software products. Here is one example of a workflow to create a G-Code file using these applications.

Of especial interest is Design and Make, available from: http://www.designandmake.com/ — AIUI, this application / web site was originally a 3rd party, but was purchased by Vectric. The software “Design and Make Machinist” is freely available, and will allow one to use free and purchased clipart, adjusting and repositioning it as desired, then export it into a form which may be imported into other Vectric products. EDIT: Note that such files may also be exported as G-Code as noted below.

Download, install, and launch Design and Make Machinist:

3 Likes

Select a model and open it:

Make any desired changes, the click “Next”:

Make any desired changes, then click “Apply” and “Next”. Configure the Roughing toolpath as desired, selecting an appropriate tool and setting the Spindle Speed, Feed Rate, and Plunge Rate — consider making the Tool Number match any numbering system you might already be working with:

Calculate the toolpath and adjust until you are happy with the results:

Click Next.

Set the Finishing Toolpath as desired.

If desired, set up a Cutout Toolpath:

Preview the file:

1 Like

At this point you may either export G-Code (which I did not realize previously) — using the text buttons:

• “Roughing Toolpath Save …”
  • “Finishing Toolpath Save …”
  • “Cut Out Toolpath Save …”
  • “Save Toolpaths to a Single File …”

or save the file as a 3D file which may be imported into other Vectric products.

In Vectric Vcarve, once you have a design and toolpaths, it’s pretty straight-forward to export G-Code:

Click on the “Save Toolpath” button

Select an appropriate post-processor and decide on which path(s) will be included in the file:

Click on “Save Toolpaths” and save the file in a convenient place:

Wow! Nice catch on that!. Being able to use the Machinist program, for free, will open a creative path for many I am sure. I have used Vcarve desktop for a couple of years now and love it,

1 Like

I dunno. You can only open the clipart which they make available for free or which you buy, and it’s not easy to integrate into a project w/o a paid Vectric product.

I use Aspire so some of the following may not be available in the noted software

I could not make out the TOOLS listed on the right side of the screen, however, if there is a tool there to produce a “Create a Job Sheet” that would also be very helpful for the jobs you will fun. That lists all of the settings for all of the tool paths you have built.

ALSO, besides being able to TILE TOOLPATHS, the Job Sheets are handy to watch your mill times and tool changes. I try to number my Tool Paths in the sequence that I want to do the milling. That just helps organize everything.

The Job Sheets can be confusing so I highlight in RED the actual tool path and be able then to quickly determine which is the next tool to use in a tool change.

1 Like